Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Is being a SAHM good enough?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am wondering what everyones honest opinion is. My dh doesn't understand why I have no desire to go to school. We got married a year after I graduated high school and I never went to college. We have 3 children and my youngest went to school this year so I have spent the last 4-5 months being a stay at home mom without them home. He says he thought I would want to go to school and "do something with my life by now." The way I look at it is I am already doing something with my life. I am completely fulfilled being a SAHM. I don't feel like there is anything missing. I have no desire to do anything else. once upon a time that is what women did. They spent their lives taking care of their families.Now I have offered to get a job while the kids are in school but any job making less than $10 an hour is a waste of time in his opinion (since he makes enough to support us) and the area where we live you can't just get a job that pays that and still be home for the kids. It's just not happening. He wants me to go to school and get a degree. He says he doesn't care if I never work He just wants me to go to school and get a degree in something useful.

So what do you think is being a stay at home mom good enough?  Is a woman considered "doing nothing with her life" If she does not go to school to have a career?

by the way I am considering homeschooling next year and am concerned I will not be able to handle that on top of an education for myself.

** I want to add that I do have a Early childhood education Certificate that I recieved while in High school. I worked at a day care after school for 3 years and also was a substitute teacher for 2 years So I do have some experience in Education.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Replies (31-31):
happinessforyou
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

1. Does your DH find you interesting? As in, what do you have in common besides children?

2. Is your DH a professional? Does he want a professional for a spouse?

3. Does he think you have a lot of potential to have a career?

4. If you married young, are you maturing in the same ways/at the same time?

5. Is your DH anticipating a change in his employment? Is he worried about supporting the entire family by himself and wants a financial "partner"?

6. Does your DH want a higher income for your family? College is very expensive-is your DH thinking forward?

7. Just because I'm thinking of it: Daycare teachers are not teachers with a Bachelors Degree, having passed the exam for their teaching license. Daycare center workers are not the same as Certified Teachers. If you enjoyed working at a Daycare center-check into being a Teacher.

8. Have an honest talk with your DH and ASK him why he is feeling the way he is on this subject.

Good Luckbig smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN