Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dad's Diagnosis

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 2 Replies

My dad and I have never had a very good relationship.  He and my mom divorced when I was 5.  He was always a part of my life and always paid his child support on time.  If we needed something and my mom couldn't afford it, dad would buy it (shoes, coats, money for a doctor visit).  When I turned 18 he stopped all financial support even though I was still in high school.  When I started college, he absolutely would not help me with expenses.

On so many occasions he has helped my brothers financially, but never me.  I have gotten upset / mad, but that only affects me.  Inspite of our troubles, I still associate with my dad on holidays and we communicate occasionally via emails. 

My mom passed away 1 1/2 years ago of a sudden heart attack.  My mom was my best friend and it was very difficult.  So I only have my Dad for a "parent" now. 

All that said, my dad called me last night to tell me he has lymphoma (a type of cancer of the blood system).  Since I am a lab tech he knew I would understand.  He asked me to share with my brothers because I could answer any questions they would have easier than he could. 

I told my younger brother last night.  I expected high drama and dreaded making the call, but he took it quite well.  Today I have to tell my older brother.  His health is fragile as he has had 2 strokes.  I hope he takes it as well.  What is difficult is none of us have a great relationship with our father. 

It's too bad it will take something like this to bring us closer.  I told my dad i would go to the doctor with him so I can be more involved in this process.  My dad's wife does not drive so most likely I will have to help when he starts his chemotherapy.  The problem is I work 2 jobs already so I don't know how I will fit this in.  I am pretty sure my brothers won't offer to help - but who knows?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

Lindalou907
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

This could be a real blessing, make the time to go with your Dad, forgive him for the past, and ask your brothers to help too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)