Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Have you set up a college fund for your child?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you set up or plan to set up a college fund?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

We are planning to soon for our little one. What about you? With your answer please put why or why not

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No. We didn't have extra money to put aside for that, even though we had the attitude that attending college was debateable. I'm fortunate that both my kids were very eager learners, and that pushed them along in school really well. They both knew by the beginning of high school what they wanted to do career-wise, and never wavered on it. So with that, they knew they would have to go to college. They did very well in high school, leaving school a year early to start college. They both attended 2 colleges, worked as much as possible while going, applied their skills outside of college and one was picked up by a company that paid for most of the schooling, the other one zipped through finishing school 18 months earlier than expected. They both paid off all school bills by 30...THEN they got married.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We put aside money and it grew in a mutual fund but it's not nearly enough. Happily they both got scholarships. However, one dropped out of college. The funds can be used for things other than college though such as starting up your own business or as a down payment on a house.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Wow! :) I bet you're a very proud momma.

Quoting EireLass:

No. We didn't have extra money to put aside for that, even though we had the attitude that attending college was debateable. I'm fortunate that both my kids were very eager learners, and that pushed them along in school really well. They both knew by the beginning of high school what they wanted to do career-wise, and never wavered on it. So with that, they knew they would have to go to college. They did very well in high school, leaving school a year early to start college. They both attended 2 colleges, worked as much as possible while going, applied their skills outside of college and one was picked up by a company that paid for most of the schooling, the other one zipped through finishing school 18 months earlier than expected. They both paid off all school bills by 30...THEN they got married.

weddingcountdown.com

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Atleast it was good for other things too :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

We put aside money and it grew in a mutual fund but it's not nearly enough. Happily they both got scholarships. However, one dropped out of college. The funds can be used for things other than college though such as starting up your own business or as a down payment on a house.

weddingcountdown.com

blueeyes2000
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Yes our little guy is three we have one for him and then his great grandma started one for him. Both were started before he turned one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Nice :) Hopefully you will have plenty saved up for when he graduates HighSchool.

Quoting blueeyes2000:

Yes our little guy is three we have one for him and then his great grandma started one for him. Both were started before he turned one.

weddingcountdown.com

MansfieldMama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

We do for our oldest who is in 9th grade.  It probably won't be enough, but it is quite a bit, and we're still adding a lot every month.  He is a very strong student in all advanced classes, so we're hoping he'll get a scholarship, but we're not counting on that.

We have some money set aside for our youngest (in third grade), too, but the main plan is that our house will be paid off before then, and the house payment will go toward his college fund.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Good luck!!!

Quoting MansfieldMama:

We do for our oldest who is in 9th grade.  It probably won't be enough, but it is quite a bit, and we're still adding a lot every month.  He is a very strong student in all advanced classes, so we're hoping he'll get a scholarship, but we're not counting on that.

We have some money set aside for our youngest (in third grade), too, but the main plan is that our house will be paid off before then, and the house payment will go toward his college fund.

weddingcountdown.com

MansfieldMama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thanks.  I get sick to my stomach if I think about college and money for too long.  I teach high school juniors and seniors, so I know way too much about it to feel confident. ;)

Quoting CJsMommy92:

Good luck!!!

Quoting MansfieldMama:

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh it's understandable! My husband and I are afraid of all the money we'll owe when he graduates college in two years. We try not to think about it though. Atleast when he graduates he can have the job he really wants so we're also excited at the same time for the two years to be over. Your kids are lucky to have parents that are trying to get them the money they need! At the very least they wont be as in debt to school loans as my husband and I so be proud and don't worry!

Quoting MansfieldMama:

Thanks.  I get sick to my stomach if I think about college and money for too long.  I teach high school juniors and seniors, so I know way too much about it to feel confident. ;)

Quoting CJsMommy92:

Good luck!!!

Quoting MansfieldMama:

weddingcountdown.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN