Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Separate Accounts / EDIT for add'l question

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Separate Accounts?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

I'm just curious if you and your DH / SO have separate checking accounts.  DH and I are attending a marriage enrichment class (it's a really fun filled class) and they are advocating if we trust each other we would have a single joint account.  We've found 2 accounts work better for us.  Each account is a joint account, but each of us is responsible for one of them. 

We have found this works best for us.  We use one account to pay for groceries, household items and gas for the vehicles (I commute to work and use 1 1/2 tank of gas each week).  The other account is used for paying all the bills (electricity, credit cards, phones, etc...)

I also got tired of DH complaining about the amount of pet food we go through (3 dogs & 3 cats).  So I use my account for that. 

If you have joint accounts, how do you keep it balanced?  DH and I use our ATM cards for just about everything - it gets hard keeping track of all the transactions - how do you do it when 2 people are using the account?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM

They are wrong on this one. Two accounts work best for us too. I knew that I didn't want us questioning each other about money or deposits. I've heard too many people get frustrated by that.

clockwatcher
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM

We've been married 39 years and have always had separate accounts. We are now both retired and still handle our household the same as when we were working.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Dh and I have always had joint accounts.

That is what works best for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I think that whatever works best for your individual family needs is what is best for you.  When I was married we had a joint account and it was honestly quite a pain at times because my ex would never give me his receipts or tell me when he spent money or withdrew money.  In hindsight I think it would have been better if we'd had seperate accouns.

Lindalou907
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM

It took several years but now all of our accounts are joint.

BroCosMom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:04 AM
We have kne account and have has one account since wed were dating it works for us
RheaF
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM
We have a joint account.
garjain
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

We always have joint accounts and it works for us....

and it's so simple to keep track of the transaction for us - he earns and I spend :-)

I keep track and pay all the bills, buy whatever is needed for the kids, house, gifts etc etc. He doesn't like to deal with any of that, so I have to anyways do it.

907PickleMom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Dh is the only one working, so no point in two accounts. I check our account online at least every other day to see what has posted.
lazyd
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

We have the one main, joint account that pays all the bills and were we use our debit card from, so keeping track of receipts, etc is not hard.  But than i have my separate account from work that pays any "big" bills or "fun" or "extra" things to do or want.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)