Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

We have a RAT problem....

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 12 Replies

Its really bad. We just moved into this neighborhood about 6 months ago. Its a nice area and we had no idea how bad the rats were... The people before us left two trashcans for us. well, the rats chewed through, and ruined those.

We've replaced them with newer cans and they've chewed through the lid of one of them!! Well, SO went to take the trash to the curb last night and we only filled up one of them. SO peeks in the other one (which was empty, but has the hole in the lid) and there are SIX dead rats in there. Fucking SIX of them. I am so grossed out, I dont even know what to do, I sure as hell am not reaching in there to get them out. I feel like were the only ones that have this problem. One of our neighbors has metal trash cans (which is what were getting)

if I call the city about it they will just fine me for having trash cans with holes in them. I'm sorry but we can't keep replacing trash cans! We can't put out poision because of our neighbors dogs.

I dont even want DD outside touching the ground. Is there anything I can do to keep them away from our trash cans? they are so gross :(

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suetoo
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You won't win. Build a rat proof, roofed, lidded, locking wire shed, get new metal cans. Then, adopt a jack russel terrier, plus the hugest cat you can find and enclose the cans in a lighted area with a good fence. Send dog and cat out on search and chase missions. Good luck! :-)

KatieKramer94
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I probably should have elaborated a little more. I am in the middle of 4 townhomes. We have to go through our neighbors yard to get to the front, we keep our cans in a small space in between our front doors. So our cans are in the front. I think they have a home under our neighbors front porch. We have two indoor cats. But no dogs.

They are just becoming a huge problem and the city wont help us exterminate any nests near our property. One morning I had to take the cans down and usually they all leave once the sun comes up. Well... one didn't and popped out of the hole in our can and lunged towards me. needless to say I screamed and the can fell over, all while me being in my PJs outside at 8am lol

Quoting suetoo:

You won't win. Build a rat proof, roofed, lidded, locking wire shed, get new metal cans. Then, adopt a jack russel terrier, plus the hugest cat you can find and enclose the cans in a lighted area with a good fence. Send dog and cat out on search and chase missions. Good luck! :-)

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Your town home HOA needs to fix this problem! Get all the neighbors to sign a petition. Rats carry terrible diseases. Threaten legal action, take pictures of holes and dead bodies, oh dear and good luck! We live in an old country house and have mice and I think they are bad! 

Hugs!

snowangel1979
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Metal cans and coke. Take small containers and put coke in them. Make sure you have no place for them to hide.

Their attracted to the coke but can't burb. So their insides explode. If a dog or child gets ahold of it, It's no big deal.

You need to talk to the neighbor or landlord (if you rent) about the porch.

What's around you. We rented a house a long time ago that had a rat problem. (outside ) It was because there was an open field (which the city didn't mow) and next to the field was a pizza place. Everyone kept calling the city and they finally mowed and the problem went away.

That sounds like you have a major problem if six where in your trash can. I would just throw a bag on top and put it out to the curb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieKramer94
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

see, we own this townhome. We are surrounded by single family homes. Theres an elementary school at the top of our street and a pizza place very far down. Thats about it. I wouldn't even know who to call because we dont rent.

could I call a pest control company instead of the city and see if they can at least give me a consultation just to see where the problem is?

Quoting snowangel1979:

Metal cans and coke. Take small containers and put coke in them. Make sure you have no place for them to hide.

Their attracted to the coke but can't burb. So their insides explode. If a dog or child gets ahold of it, It's no big deal.

You need to talk to the neighbor or landlord (if you rent) about the porch.

What's around you. We rented a house a long time ago that had a rat problem. (outside ) It was because there was an open field (which the city didn't mow) and next to the field was a pizza place. Everyone kept calling the city and they finally mowed and the problem went away.

That sounds like you have a major problem if six where in your trash can. I would just throw a bag on top and put it out to the curb.

Mbpeaceful12
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

We rent our apartment and when we had a rat problem, the managment claimed it was illegal to for them to put down rat poison because if the rats die in the wall, there would be a bigger problem (stench). I bought De-con myself and made it alluring by adding peanut butter to it. They ate it, but some became smart and refused to eat it. So in late September, I went to the shelter and adopted a female domestic shorthair (they say that the females are the better hunters). She even kills roaches. I do not know if you want a cat (or three), but it is something to think about.

Eve-marie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:18 AM

When we first moved here it was awful too. I actually saw a rat following a neighbor down the road at 4pm. There weren't any cats out here. I got one, a few other neighbors did too. Mine had kittens so now I've got 3 (spayed them all) and 2 of them go outside all the time. The other neighbors cats are all outdoor cats. We havent seen a rat in months, nor a mouse either. I wouldn't rule out poison though. Put it in the bottom of the can if the dogs can't get in there. Good luck.

WillTimsmom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Call an exterminator. They can put a rat trap under your porch. Then get a metal garbage can with a locking lid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Necie72
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Yikes!  I say metal cans...  I know how expensive they can be...  We have plastic, but it's the garbage men that destroy them!  They broke wheels off of one and the first week that we put the new one out, they broke the lid off of it!  I'd say to put the poison in the cans, but I'd worry about it getting on the garbage men, depending on how they empty your cans.  You can try pouring vinegar and I like the coke idea.  Adding a few outdoor cats could help...  We moved into a new construction that was once a project area.  There's still a lot of wooded area to the side of us and across the street.  There are a couple of cats that roam around and I'm thinking they keep any pest population down.

snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Oh wow! That sucks... We have a few of those around here too and it makes me crazy! Ugh....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)