Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my nephew is autistic but my sister's in denial-PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 1 Replies

I went to school for special needs and I've worked with children who were autistic, I'm not saying I'm an expert but I'm not the only one in my family who thinks that my nephew is a little "off".  I have another sister who thinks something is wrong and my husband agrees with us. I've never mentioned my thoughts to his mother bc she is ultra sensitive and I don't think she's ready to hear it.  I have mentioned it to my mother but she is also in denial.  I just think a major diservice is being done to this child.  I've observed his behavior on several different occasions and he just doesn't know how to act in socially appropriate ways with other children and even with adults.  He talks very slow and methodically.  He is also really quirky with the foods he will eat.  If something is too hot, too cold or the wrong texture he won't eat it.  He is almost 8 and I have a real hard time believing that a teacher of his hasn't said something to my sister about his behavior and mannerisms.  I find it really hard to believe that my other sister has noticed it and so have my husband and myself but a professional who works with my nephew on a daily basis hasn't said anything.  So far I've stayed out of it but if my child had special needs I would make sure that he or she got the help they needed.  I guess my question to you ladies is should I continue to not say anything even though my nephew is not getting help and is not getting any better or should I risk rocking the boat so to speak with the hopes that my sister might listen to a voice of reason and get my nephew evaluated so he can get some help?  What would you do if you were in my situation?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Lindalou907
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

That's a tough one. He may very well be "on the spectrum" Your Mom's generation just sees those kids as quirky, and different. If you REALLY think he could benefit from extra services at school I would mention it to your sister, and you will probably know from her reaction if his teachers have brought it up before. My nephew is 17 and we all thought he was just rude and spoiled, and had to be home-schooled because he was always doing rude things at school. Just this last year a doctor said he might have Aspergers. I still think he was spoiled too, but maybe some early help would have made a difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)