Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Job Dilemna

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

About 3 years ago the company I had worked for for 23 years closed.  I lost my job but was able to find another right away about an hour from home.  I am a lab technician.  I have done well at my new job since I am an experienced tech and this company tends to hire younger less experienced "lab aides" to be trained and schooled in house for less pay. What I don't like about this job is the 2 hours a day I spend on the road commuting.  My old job was only 5 mins away from home.

I have currently been offered a job that will take me traveling all over the USA.  My husband is retired and would be able to travel with me.  My son (24) is in college, lives at home, and is willing to take care of the house-hold responsibilities.  My husband would travel with me to each assignment (8 - 13 weeks), stay for a couple or three weeks, then fly home and check on the house for a couple weeks then fly back to me.  Exciting huh?

Then the company I work for  offered me a part-time position when they found out I was leaving and why.  I also have another part-time position in my home town, so I could make it work financially if I stayed at my current job part time.  

I would love to travel, but I also worry about leaving home for long periods of time.  My husband is worried my son won't be able to keep up the house / yard / pet care (2 dogs, 3 cats), and school.    I want to give him a chance to try.  I would be giving up singing in the church choir and being with my 2 dogs. 

If I'm on assignment during holidays, I wouldn't be able to come home.

What other pro's and con's can you think of if you were to travel full time?

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillTimsmom
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

BUMP!

jenettyshome
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I think if I had that kind of opportunity I would go for it!!  I would think at 24, your son should be able to handle some household responsibilities.  With the way the internet is nowadays, you can always check in via video chat and get a better "view" of what's going on.  As far as the holidays, who says you have to celebrate Christmas ON Christmas (for example)?  You can always celebrate before or after.  I think it's wonderful that your husband will be able to travel with you. 

Anways, I think it just sounds wonderful.  I'd love a job like that, when the time is right.  I still have LO's at home now though.  :) 

Number1Chef
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

A pro would be you would get to see new places and a con would be that you would see less of your family

bhow
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Not many cons if my husband can go and I've got a 24 yr. old "kid" to take care of the house.  Let him grow up mama and YOU leave the nest!!  Sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime!!  Holidays would take some sucking up but... ...

bhow
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I'm excited just thinking that it is actually an option!  For some body I don't really know!!  

WillTimsmom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Update: 

When I told my employer I was leaving, they offered me a different position for more money and less hours so I agreed to stay (for now).

My son was a bit disappointed I think.  I still plan on traveling, but I think I will wait until next year when my husband starts getting social security so our money situation won't be as tight.  Because with traveling, I won't be paid when I am between job assignments and that could be up to 2 weeks between each assignment!

JTROX
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Your son is 24. I would hope at this point he would be able to handle the responsibilities of a home.

WillTimsmom
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

He most likely could handle the responsibilities of a "normal" home. Unfortunately, our situation can be a bit frustrating.  We live in a homeowners association area.  A place that will send us a "compliance" letter if we let a weed grow in cracks in the sidewalk in front of our home, or if the lawn isn't edged every week, or if dandelions sprout in the front lawn.  That can be a lot of work by itself - something my retired husband does every day.

Then there is the 3 dogs and 3 cats that are mostly my responsibility = feedings, walkings, picking up poop in the back yard, litter boxes......

AND our garden?  I would hate to see our garden go to waste because the son does not know how to can vegetables and fruits. 

Add to that the general housework and full time student status - he could be a bit overwhelmed. 

I am sure I will start traveling eventually and we've talked about a friend of my son's moving in and paying rent.  Even if his "rent" is perhaps keeping up with the yard work.  We need to work out more details, but until then, I will stay where I am at least through the end of this year.

Quoting JTROX:

Your son is 24. I would hope at this point he would be able to handle the responsibilities of a home.

lalalamama
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Lawn care company and dog walkers.
A big change in lifestyle means looking for options/solutions you never had to consider before. Yes, these cost money, but so does having dh fly home to check on things !
That would solve two major concerns and leave your son to look after the pets in the evening and do housework.
I would go for it!
JTROX
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

It's scary to go in an entirely different direction.

But the new job opportunity sounds very exciting.  I say give it a try.  :)

Quoting WillTimsmom:

He most likely could handle the responsibilities of a "normal" home. Unfortunately, our situation can be a bit frustrating.  We live in a homeowners association area.  A place that will send us a "compliance" letter if we let a weed grow in cracks in the sidewalk in front of our home, or if the lawn isn't edged every week, or if dandelions sprout in the front lawn.  That can be a lot of work by itself - something my retired husband does every day.

Then there is the 3 dogs and 3 cats that are mostly my responsibility = feedings, walkings, picking up poop in the back yard, litter boxes......

AND our garden?  I would hate to see our garden go to waste because the son does not know how to can vegetables and fruits. 

Add to that the general housework and full time student status - he could be a bit overwhelmed. 

I am sure I will start traveling eventually and we've talked about a friend of my son's moving in and paying rent.  Even if his "rent" is perhaps keeping up with the yard work.  We need to work out more details, but until then, I will stay where I am at least through the end of this year.

Quoting JTROX:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)