Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Spending $78 on lip balm is NOT crazy!

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we're allergic to almost all of the standard beauty products, especially those with petroleum in them. That really limits our choices. And there are some serious dry/cracked lips around here right now. There are just two lip products that work for us, one is $3.99 a tube (the good stuff it's mostly all vitamin E) and the other is $2.50 (not quite as nice as the other but still good). I went searching on Amazon and I can get a box of the first product $30 for 12. That's $2.50 each and on a box I'd save $17.88 over the store. The other one is $48 for a box of 24, that saves me 50 cents each so $12 bucks saved for the box. DH thinks I'm crazy to buy full boxes and drop nearly $80 in one shot. I figure they don't expire and they'll last a good two-three or more. I know if I go to the store and bought a few at a time I'm "only" spending $10 for that trip - but those $10's add up! This way I've saved $30 total. I think the idea of all that money up front scared him a bit but the math is sound and it makes total sense to me as long as we have the money available. I can think of a lot of ways to use that extra $30!
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Number1Chef
by Head Admin on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM

oh wow

sakpoints
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
As long as you have the room to store it and can afford to pay it upfront I agree with you. I originally thought you were spending $78 on one tube when I read the title. That would be crazy!
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I thought you were paying $78 for one tube to! I agree with the poster above me.
twinners.mama
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM
If you go through it fast enough, then yea I don't see why not. If he's totally against spending that much at once, then maybe just get one box for now?? What kinds do you use?
amberdotsmom
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

He wasn't actually against it, I just needed to vent because I'd said I found a way to save money if we order a box but it'll cost $80 and he yelled Are you out of your mind.  Then I had to go through the whole wait I said save let me break it down.  Why do men have such knee jerk reactions?  Anyway, did order them and it's Reviva Vitamin E Stick that's the pricy one and Avalon Organics Green Tea Peppermint.  I found a lot of others are menthol-ish so the taste isn't great. 

aneela
by Neely on Dec. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM

if u use it often and had the money upfront...then sure

nova.mommy
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I know you said they won't expire but I would worry about them separating before you can use them all.  

But if you feel you will go through them quick enough, I would get them too.  Although I would most likely get one box at a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)