Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

heard it was hard. . .

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM
  • 22 Replies
  • 603 Total Views

I heard it was hard to get into the AF these days unless you go for something "in demand." for those of you with people who just joined within the last few months how long did it take before they got accepted and went off to boot camp? if DH does this we dont' want to be on a waiting list forever b/c the whole reason is to get out of the crappy place he's in now (cow slaughter house, yeah, pretty bad huh) and everything is going up around here (new gas lease crap going on, just making things crazy here in the "country" we live in) thanks ladies, i know it must be crazy with everyone commin in and probabl yasking the same questions, i appreciate all ya'll do!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NatGab
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

My husband first talked to his recruiter in March I think.  He went to basic in July. (all this year)  IT-t will take some time.  We waited 4 months.

My husband went in with his job already decided.  If your husband is wanting to go right away, he can do what is called quick ship.  They will call him to go at anytime, even with only a days notice if someone else that was supposed to ship that day was unable to make it.  If he goes this way he has no say in what job he is getting.  So it would be up to you.  Would you rather get started right away?  Or have a little control in what job he winds up with?

It will take a few weeks to get waivers approved (if he needs them) and paperwork done, regardless of his job or if he quick ships. 

Mommy to two sweet girls AND

candis06
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

i would deffinatly like some sort of control over it lol. i was hopin he'd go after april so he could be here for our little ones 1st bday and our oldest's 4th bday, thanks for the reply. sohopefully if he talks to one in january he'd be here long enough for the birthdays!

NatGab
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM

My husband told his recrutier he could leave anytime after a certain date.  Your husband could even talk to a recrutier now if he is ready, and tell him that he can't leave until after___... It should work fine that way.

Mommy to two sweet girls AND

candis06
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Quoting NatGab:

My husband told his recrutier he could leave anytime after a certain date.  Your husband could even talk to a recrutier now if he is ready, and tell him that he can't leave until after___... It should work fine that way.

welp my hubby decided that he wanted to try and leave in january, he would miss the bdays (for a good cause) but i think he'd like to do it while he has his mind set rather than wait and change his mind ya kno? sooo, my sis is in the AF and she's been makin phone calls for me lol she's callin the recruiters and finding out their rank and everything until she finds a good one  for us to talk to (she's over protective lol) so, hopefully after christmas then! i'm nervous but excited at the same time! thanks for the reply!

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM

My husband is a recruiter. Right now he is booking jobs anywhere from Feb- Apr. time frame. It all depends on the job you want.

candis06
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM

trying to get ahold of a recruiter around here is hard! I tried calling all day yesterday for him and no one would answer their phones!! my husband wants to take his ASFABs and decide from there what he wants to go in for.  atleast then it would give us time to save up money, me finish atleast one semester of college, and get our house sold by the time he's done with boot camp or tech school! He has to call my sister back tonight (god is she protective lol) b/c she's talking to the recruiter on her base to get as much info as possible for us, and hopefully this weekend we'll have gotten ahold of someone!

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM

You might try to get a cell phone number. Alot of recruiters are out of their office as they have school visits and home visits. My DH is in a refresher course in Texas right now so whoever calls his office this week will get no call back until next week. Have you tried to go by the office? We leave a sign on DHs door with his cell phone number. If you have any specific questions that need answered soon I can ask DH. Good Luck!!

emily_w
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 3:42 AM

my husband joined last Aug.

He signed up on a Thursday went to meps that weekend and left the next Tuesday...which is EXTREMELY rare!!!! it happened like that because he signed up open general which basically means the AF will pick the job for you based off of what they need, and someone from our area was scheduled to leave but got poison ivy and couldn't so they called my husband and just like that he was gone.

even though my husbands case was rare Ive heard you go a lot faster if you go in open general, because its basically them filling the positions they need the most.

emily_w
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 3:43 AM

Quoting candis06:

Quoting NatGab:

welp my hubby decided that he wanted to try and leave in january, he would miss the bdays (for a good cause) but i think he'd like to do it while he has his mind set rather than wait and change his mind ya kno? sooo, my sis is in the AF and she's been makin phone calls for me lol she's callin the recruiters and finding out their rank and everything until she finds a good one  for us to talk to (she's over protective lol) so, hopefully after christmas then! i'm nervous but excited at the same time! thanks for the reply!

i thought you had to go through the recruiter for your area? can you really just pick who you wanna go through?

harrellswifey
by Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Quoting emily_w:

Quoting candis06:

Quoting NatGab:

i thought you had to go through the recruiter for your area? can you really just pick who you wanna go through?

Yes and no. I mean if you want to drive to another area that is farther away from you that's ones personal choice. Many just pick the closest recruiter.

What I dont' understand OP is if your sis is AF why doesn't she have answers for you all?? I mean a recruiter is only going to know job things, but until the ASVAB is taken they can't really tell you much about jobs because they have no idea which jobs are available for the test taker. Also, the recruiter will lie out his ass about jobs, most don't know much about every job, they know the jist but that's about it. They are most knowledgeable in their own career field, so you get a SF member doing recruiting he's going to know the most about that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)