Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

credit check policy what is ok and isnt

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 470 Total Views

has anyones husband gotten in with not so great credit. The recruiter said its still possible he just can't work anything that need clearance. Heres a little break down on what's on his credit - a car repossession 3 years ago due to the finalization of his divorce - about 4 collections totaling about 1500 most are about 3 years old- there is one collection for a credit card that is new but that's it so about 5 or 6 negative accounts and about 10 closed in good standing accounts. Just curious if its even worth the try for him especially since we have to do our marriage before too (long story short personal reasons I don't want to be married in general not anything to do with him) but I am scared this all may be hard for me. We are due with a 2nd baby in dec and the training would be march or april, I am worried that his school will be too long after teaining and he will miss the babies first birthday :( I'm also scared to be alone I don't have anyone as it is

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM

You will need waiver. I am not sure how the repossession works but the collections/negative accounts need to show you have contacted the companies and have set up a payment plan and become current with them. I'm not sure what he meant by anything that needs clearance because my DH has had a lot of credit waivers approved. If you have any other questions ask away!!

model4u
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

wow really waivers and payment plans, the recruiter said nothing about those of course right. Ouch now I'm not sure if he can even do it. I'm guessing we have to be actually making payments in order to get a waiver right? We are honestly living on state cash assistance annd our church pays our utilities that's why we looked this way is because obviously its not right living the way we do and we have been trying for months for a job ouch now I'm scared

Quoting Mother_To_4:

You will need waiver. I am not sure how the repossession works but the collections/negative accounts need to show you have contacted the companies and have set up a payment plan and become current with them. I'm not sure what he meant by anything that needs clearance because my DH has had a lot of credit waivers approved. If you have any other questions ask away!!

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

If you have bad credit it will require a waiver. They are pretty easy to get though. Depends what his credit report says as some of it may not appear on there. All you have to sow is you made a payment plan. Call the companies and tell them you want to set up a plan. You then get something in writing from that company saying you did it. Rather you pay or not Im not sure they can do much once your in but don't take my word for that. Your credit is nothing compared to some people that have gotten waivers and they had over 8 grand in debt. Don't get scared,or let it make you have second thoughts! Just go do what you have to do, the better your DH looks on paper the more the AF will want him and look past the waivers. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! The worse thing that could happen is them saying you can't get in but you'll never know if you don't try.

model4u
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM

yea I wonder if they can kick you out if you don't pay, I so wish we could. I have to file a chapter 7 most of our past is all on my credit our forclosure and stuff and the recruiter said he can file a bk and we would just do it joint but he wants to work for the fbi that is the only reason we are going this route and from what we know in the past is he can not have a bk on his report for the fbi. I am having him go meet with an fbi recruiter to find out more since if we file now and he signs 4 years in or even 6 years in it will drop off his report in 7 so I wonder if he can get into the fbi with it being so far in his past and using the economy and his divorce plus a new marriage and joining the military as reasoning or at least make it not look so bad.

Quoting Mother_To_4:

If you have bad credit it will require a waiver. They are pretty easy to get though. Depends what his credit report says as some of it may not appear on there. All you have to sow is you made a payment plan. Call the companies and tell them you want to set up a plan. You then get something in writing from that company saying you did it. Rather you pay or not Im not sure they can do much once your in but don't take my word for that. Your credit is nothing compared to some people that have gotten waivers and they had over 8 grand in debt. Don't get scared,or let it make you have second thoughts! Just go do what you have to do, the better your DH looks on paper the more the AF will want him and look past the waivers. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! The worse thing that could happen is them saying you can't get in but you'll never know if you don't try.

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Oh my there are so many people in the AF with bad credit! They won't look at your credit just his. Just curious why did the recruiter tell you to file bankruptcy ? 

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Is it the military in general he wants to join or just the AF?

model4u
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM

well before I did research we never knew if my credit would affect him or not and we were planning on file bk jointly if it did, so basically the recruiter didn't even know the answer to if my credit would matter but he said that a bk would be fine if we chose that route. I wish we could afford to just pay his stuff off but we are so lucky to have a roof over our head right now that i'd rather just have him get in, and stuff will be tight on military pay as well since I have a step daughter that he will be paying almost 500 a month in child support for because the state is so f'd up the only financial they take into consideration for the two we have together is daycare and obviously with him gone I won't be working I'll just ride out the hard times. But in the end its all for a better lifestyle so I can't complain but I know we will have nothing extra to even pay a credit card let alone old debt.

we really are trying to stick with the af due to the shorter employments. My mom recently passed and my father passed while I was younger  so its extremely hard for me to be without him around I know I sound like every other wife but I know especially right now with a new baby on the way I would have an emotional breakdown plus our two year old little girl is starting to show emotional problems we will even be getting someone to work with her losing my mom has been very hard for her and daddy being gone will be hard too so the less the better especially for her

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Wow 500 dollars a month? Geesh what state is that? Does CS go by his income? If so when he joins he could go back and get it lowered if needed. When do you go see a recruiter? Well hopefully he can help you guys out. Good Luck!

model4u
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Quoting Mother_To_4:

Wow 500 dollars a month? Geesh what state is that? Does CS go by his income? If so when he joins he could go back and get it lowered if needed. When do you go see a recruiter? Well hopefully he can help you guys out. Good Luck!

that's going off what he would be making in the air force they count taxable and non taxable income its so dumb basically he would be making somewhere around 2600 total and she only makes 1500 and has her in a private school but AZ fails to ask about other expenses besides other dependants childcare and she gets to live rent free and everything else but whatever it is what it is once she starts a public school full time next year it goes down to 350 but still I wish I had 350 a kid for mine :( its in AZ I guess if you ever plan on being a gold digger get married and have kids in AZ. He has already met with the af recruiter we have to wait for his birth certificate to come in the mail in a couple of weeks then he will set up his test date but he will call the fbi on monday to set up a date to talk to them about the bk thing. I don't know if I really trust this recruiter anymore though since he failed to mention setting up payment plans on debt and getting waivers especially since he knows our whole situation.

Mother_To_4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Does the recruiter know what your bad credit is? Has he filed for your DHs credit check yet? His squadron may do something different. I am only telling you what our SQ does here. Believe me if he didn't think he could work with you he would have told you. It takes up alot of the recruiters time and if he doesnt think it will work I would hope he would say something. Just keep in contact with him and if you think he is doing you wrong you can always go to another recruiter. We were at Luke AFB for 4 years and now I understand why he pays so much. I was always amazed at what people paid for CS there. Good Luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)