Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new and need advice. :)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Hey there.

I'll start by giving you a short intro on myself.

My name is Liz, I am 23 years old and live in Phoenix, AZ with my DH Nick and our (almost) 4 year old son, Chris. Currently I work in healthcare as a Tech, and I love my job.

I have a small predicament and I am seeking some advice from you fellow ladies out there. :)

Since I was 17 I have really wanted to join the Air Force. I actually went and passed my ASVAB test, did everything and then my parents wouldn't let me join. My step dad is a bit hard headed and  said that "women didn't belong in the military." However, I disagree. I gave up that dream the day I met my husband and never looked back. Or so I thought....

Recently, my husband brought up the 'air force' topic with me and pointed out some things I didn't realize. I knew I had spoken to him and told him how when I was younger I wanted to join. But he told me its more than that. He told me that whenever we walk by a recruiter for the AF I have to stop and look and I just stand there, like its calling for me.

He stopped me one day in the mall and told me "Baby, you know if thats what you want to do, I support you. You know I love you and I'd miss you so much. But, I wont hold you back."

I'm crying right now, cuz this sucks.

See, I do still want this. I do want to go into the airforce still. But everytime I think about my family, my son and husband alone for the possible year deployments my heart hurts.

If you ladies could please help me by sharing some stories if your in th emilitary, stories of the trials and benefits.Or send me anything that might help me, I would REALLY appreciate it.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
airforcewife36
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Its not very often that ppl "know" in their gut what they really want.... If you know this is your calling, or what it was meant for you to do, then do it.... Yes, deployments are hard... and they suck.... and they never get easier, they only get more tolerable... Your lucky to have a husband who is willing to stand beside and behind you.... My husband has been serving for 24yrs now... We have been through deployment after deployment and it seems like we have been apart more than we have been together.... My husband has said many times that if it wasn't for me being the glue that held everything together, he would of never been able to do it.... In your situation, your husband will be the glue.... But you have to let him be.... I wont lie to you, ... your going to miss out on a lot.... Home runs, touch downs, first dance, recitals and plays, but you have to ask yourself, ... is it worth it?... Only you can answer that question..... Kids that are raised in a military atmosphere and "know" and "understand" (its up to you and your husband as parents to teach your kids the "military way") are very understandable as well as forgiving... Yes, they will miss you but they will know WHY they are missing you.... and like your husband, they will be proud of you.... I grew up a Marine brat.... My kids are AF brats.... We all survived.... Special moments were missed, but it was nothing that we didn't or couldn't get over.... and I know when I say it, or the kids say it... We are the proud family of a US Airman... and that's good enough for us.... Our Airman has missed out on a lot... but he always makes up for the time he missed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)