Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son Joined the Air Force

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 294 Total Views

Hi Ladies,

My name is Lori and i am new to the group.

My oldest son who is 20 joined the Air Force and yes i am heartbroken.

he will be in texas for basic training. we don't know when he is leaving yet.

i do know he will not be in any combat so  that helps.

but why am i crying and so upset about this?

he signed up for MP or something security.  i talked him out of the army and all that

i know friends tell me that My som will be  very safe there and that the air force is the best one.

he told me to look for moms whose kids joined the air force and talk. he is such a great kid

and i am very proud of him. we are very close and he is worried about me.

has anyone been where i am at now?

depressed and heartbroken???

Thanks Ladies,

Lori

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sammybea
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I don't want to upset you more than you already are but MP is Miltary Police and they do deploy quite a bit.   But it should be a long while before he finishes any training and school. 

2ndtimearoun280
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:46 AM

I know exactly how you are feeling. My boy is my life and when he joined it broke my heart. I cried and drove myself crazy while he was in BMT, and you  know what? It was waisted energy. He loved it and is now in Washington DC and he has no plans of ever getting out. The Af is the best of the best and your son will be just fine. I do have to agree with the other post though, if your son doesn't want to be deployed that often, he should choose another career. 20 of my son's friends went  in for MP and they ahve already got there orders to be sent out. I am not trying to worry you sweetie, but just so you will be prepared.

Lori329
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Thanks for all the support!

i know he may be deployed. he told me that. but mostly he says he will be on the base. he signed up for 4 years. he hopes to go somewhere. i said Hawaii would be cool, i want to go there.

so i have to hope he doesn't go overseas. i feel so much better that i am not "crazy"!!!!   LOL 

i really appreciate it  with a support group like this i think i will make thru!!

my mom told me she felt like that when i moved an hour and half away from here when my son was a baby. so now i know how she feels. Jimmy ( my son) i know will love the AF. it wouldn't be fair to stop him from doing what he wants.

he even wants to be a cop and was going to college to be a veternerian. the cop part is going to put me in a early grave!!

:)

Thanks

Lori

wendy6832
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Welcome to the group. Your son sounds just like mine! Giving you advice to get you through it.

You are not crazy but you'll probably feel like it sometimes and that's ok. I think it is absolutely wonderful to feel so much love for a child. Isn't it a gift that you're capable of loving someone so much that you literally feel like your heart is going to break?

It's important that your son know how much you support him as it will get him through BMT.

Good luck to you and your son. Congratulations. I'm sure you're very proud of him and he'll be a gifted Airman.

dixiecharmer
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Welcome to the world of Air Force Moms    LOL  it will be challenging for both you and your son,   All Air Force members go to Basic at Lackland  If you have the chance to go to his graduation go, it is so worth the trip.  It was one of the proudest moments of my life. to watch him take his Oath of Enlistment.  He looked so adult, and so much different than when He left for Texas.      

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)