Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tom's Goin' to Florida!!!!! Whooo-hoooo!!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 307 Total Views

Hey everybody!  Tom just got his orders last night, & he's going to Eglin AFB in Florida!  We are so happy about this!  Tom only chose 2 places on his dream sheet.......Shaw AFB in SC & Florida!  So we are just so excited that he got one of his picks!  There had been a lot of talk around base of Korea, & when Tom mentioned that, it made me really nervous!  I know we deal with what we have to, but I wasn't ready to see my boy go overseas, yet.  He now feels he can see a light at the end of the tunnel, & is really stoked & ready to move forward.  His tech classes don't start until the 15th, so he's had a hard time being out there in limbo!  But next weeks he advances to another floor in his dorm and won't be the "new kid on the block" anymore!  He's really glad about that, too.  Florida is at least a legitimate driving distance from WV, so it will be no problem for Momma to hop in the car & make a road trip!  One can never get too many road trips, ya know!!LOL!!  I pray that everyone else will be happy with their new places.  God has certainly taken my son by the hand through all of BMT & he is still leading him to a better life.  I give all the praise & all the thanks & all the glory  to my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ, because he has been Tom's rock to lean on every step of the way, & Tom has no problem admitting that either.  Does anybody know anything about Eglin?  Know of anybody who has been there?  Tom's TIL told him he was a "lucky dog"!  boy kissing mom

Tom's Mom

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sammybea
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM

That is where we are from...well actually Crestview, it's about 25 minutes from Eglin and a lot of people stationed there live in our town.  I LOVE this area.  It's a good time to buy a house in that area too, it he is looking.  Here is a picture of the Beaches....

and here is a website for the cities surrounding the base if you would like to check it out. 

http://www.cityofcrestview.org/

www.fwb.org

http://www.shalimarflorida.org/

http://www.cityofmaryesther.com/

http://www.cityofniceville.org/

http://www.eglin.af.mil/

We are currently stationed at Cannon AFB, NM.  But we can't wait to get back home.

cloviswife
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM

How exciting!!

We were in Fl for 6 years...up at Hurlburt. It is so beautiful!! He'll love it there because there is a ton of stuff to do. Really it's a great place to start out an AF career.

Hope he has fun!!

JudyAnn12168
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and him.

My son is going to Little Rock, Arkansas. That's so far away from New York.

yadi2
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:37 AM

How exciting!!  My husband was stationed nearby in Hurlburt Field for 4 months and he loved the surrounding area.  We visited him there during spring break and loved going to Destin and seeing their beautiful white sand beaches. We actually visited the base and didn't look too bad.  My husband is really hoping that we end up in Eglin sometime during his career!

wendy6832
by Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Congratulations to Tom for getting one of the two places on his dream list. That's awesome! Love the pics of the beaches!! Very nice!!

yadi2
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

He are some more pictures for you!  This was at the Hurlburt Field private beach. Enjoy!

TopGunsMom
by Member on Feb. 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Hello to my sweet wonderful friends at Cafe Mom!  Thank you all so much for all the positive input regarding my son's permanent duty station in Florida!  You have no idea how inispirational all your comments & photos have been, not only to me but to Tom as well!  What a beautiful place this looks like it's going to be!  We're from WV, so Tom will certainly appreciate the warm, sandy beaches!  (Although right now we're having snow up the ying-yang & Tom wishes he was here to ski!!LOL!)!  And it will be an awesome vacation opportunity for not only me & my husband, but for my daughter as well!  She is now in St. Louis after spending 3 years on the beautiful WARM island of Guam!  And she isn't adapting to the change in weather very well!  So she's looking forward to visiting her "little bro" in Florida!  Both she & her husband love to scuba dive, & have done that in some really impressive places around the world, & from what I've read about the area, the scuba diving is really great!  Not much places in St. Louis to scuba dive!!LOL!  She'll probably have Tom doing it, too!  Me???  I'm lucky to snorkle without having a panic attack!!!!LOL!  I hope & pray that everyone else's husband or child has been blessed with going somewhere that they will be content with.  It'd be kind of crappy to have to spend a couple of years in a place where you're miserable. 

I hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day, & again, thank you so much for all the positive input!  Heaven knows when your son, daughter, husband, or just somebody you really like! is gone into the Armed Services, you can use all the "happy stuff" you can get!  I love you all!!!!

Sheri

Truffles09
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I spent 4 years at Hurlburt and my Hubby ways at Eglin we LOVED it and if we could we would be back there in a second!! He is going to love it there. There is a ton to do and he can really make some great friends out there. He is so lucky to get a location that he picked that is very rare. Congrats! What does he do? 

TopGunsMom
by Member on Feb. 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for the positive words!  I really enjoy the feedback & photos I've been getting!  A little optimism goes a long way!  His job is going to be (I can never get this quite right!LOL!)Tactical Aeronautic Maintenance Crew Chief.  His main focus will be on F-16's.  Tom took some advice from his sister (which he rarely ever does!!LOL!) who is prior Coast Guard & her husband is active Coast Guard.  She said that if you fill up your "dream sheet" sometimes you are misconstrued as being picky or that you may be intrepreted as demanding.  Her advice to him was to only list 2 or 3.  Well he only put South Carolina as his first choice, because it was closer to home, & Florida.  So I don't know if that made a difference or not, but obviously it worked!!!!  We were really antsy until he found out.  There was a lot of talk floating through tech school about Korea!  So he had already pre-warned me not to flip out if that's where his order sent him!HaHa!  Of course, he still stands a really good chance of going over seas eventually, but I just began to deal with him being across the U.S.   & I wasn't lovin' the idea of him immediately going across the world!!  My daughter just returned to the states after 3 years in Guam, so "Momma" here needed a little break!  I guess my prayers were answered!!! 

And what a fabulous place (& excuse!) for a vacation!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)