Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New . . . to this board and being a AF wife!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

Hey everyone. My DH just got sworn in yesterday, so now I'm going to be a military wife! I would just like some pointers on how to deal with everything - basic training, moving, him being deployed, ect. He's wanting to get into Secuity Forces, and if the recruiter's telling the truth, he has a very good chance of already having a job. We have one 19 month old son and another due next week. I'm just very new to all this, and need all the tips I can get. I know I'm not going to have to do anything until he gets done with basic and training, but I'd just like to know what's going to happen after all that! Thank you!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Duhannyell
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:36 AM

I too am new to being a military wife, and for me, its just something you learn as you go. My husband is actually in security forces, stationed in great falls, montana.. it's a hard thing to deal with, but the AF does try to take care of you  and your family. Try to get base housing if youre worried about bills and what not, thats what we did and you dont have to pay for anything except your own personal bills. (which you prolly already knew) lolbut we were on a waiting list for a few months, so i'd start that right away. Im not sure wether or not you can go ahead and do that, or if you have to wait for him to come back?

Like i said i'm new too! lol

I hope your husband doesnt get deployed, im lucky to where mine hasnt been deployed yet. BASICALLY, it is very hard dealing with someone you love being far away through basic training and everything, you're going to need to lean on friends and family for support. I know i missed mine like crazy when he was gone, (before we got married) and when he got stationed in Montana, while I was still in South Carolina.

tjrj2007
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Hi,

I'm a Af wife since about 2 years.
I'm german and met my husband when he was in Ramstein.
We moved last July here to Maryland my Husband is a flight Nurse and is stationed at Andrews AFB.
But we live about 50 min from Andrew closer to Annapolis.
Anyways.

He is deployed now and it is not easy to be alone with the kids.
We have 2 kids 7 years and 21 month.
You just need to stay busy but there are a times when you feel lonley.
And I'm not from the states so it was and still is hard for me.
But there are really nice mom's out there that go through the same thing like you and you can met them and talk about it.
To be a military spouse is not easy but you need to talk to your husband about how you feel
and try to your best to understand him to.

I go to playdates a lot and on the weekends I try to do things with the kids.
And of course you need alone time to.
Go meet friends and get Babysitter.
I try to do same thing but I don't always have one.:((

My husband takes care of the bills online that is no problem.

Just takes it as it comes enjoy the times together and spend qualitiy time as long as he is with you.

Things will be alright.

Take care.

AirForceWife412
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM

i am new to being an air force wife. my husband left in november of 2008 for bmt and graduated in january. he is now in biloxi,ms for his tech school he is atc.(air traffic control) his tech school is 2 weeks short of them approving me to move down. is your husbands tech school is long enough then they will approve you to move down and they pay for it.(what we have been told) we have a 10 month old son and trying to have another. but me and my son moved down. security forces always needs someone new. does he know where he will have tech school? we are at keesler air force base in biloxi,ms. did he got to lackland for basic? in san antonio,tx, it will fly by. i thought it would take forever but by the time i saw him graduate i was like you just left the MEPS yesterday. where did the time go. it will be hard don't let anyone tell you different. just don't let the stress get to you, just enjoy every letter and every phone call you get. we got lucky because my husband was in the band flight and they got calls all the time but hopefully your husband will get a cool T.I. who will let him call to check up on you and your children. but good luck to you both on this journey. it will be hard but a great life experience. always here for support.

montanagal2005
by Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Thanks everyone. He's now been in Basic a week. The week before he left I was in the hospital with our newborn. He's only been gone a little over a week and I feel so stressed and depressed. I missed his phone call, and he called his grandmother when he couldn't get me, so I don't even know when I'll talk to him again. And yesterday was our aniversary, and my baby still has jandice and they don't want me to breastfeed, and I feel like everything's falling apart. Thanks everyone for replying though, it helps to talk to others who have been there.

erei28
by Member on Mar. 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Just breath and try to keep your mind busy with thought of other things that aren't as stressful. I know its a very hard time, my hubby just finish Tech School, when he left our DS was 2 months and we have a 2 year old DD! Try to get out and also make sure you get your sleep. Good luck!

Quoting montanagal2005:

Thanks everyone. He's now been in Basic a week. The week before he left I was in the hospital with our newborn. He's only been gone a little over a week and I feel so stressed and depressed. I missed his phone call, and he called his grandmother when he couldn't get me, so I don't even know when I'll talk to him again. And yesterday was our aniversary, and my baby still has jandice and they don't want me to breastfeed, and I feel like everything's falling apart. Thanks everyone for replying though, it helps to talk to others who have been there.

logoerei.gif picture by afcrs

montanagal2005
by Member on Mar. 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Quoting erei28:

Just breath and try to keep your mind busy with thought of other things that aren't as stressful. I know its a very hard time, my hubby just finish Tech School, when he left our DS was 2 months and we have a 2 year old DD! Try to get out and also make sure you get your sleep. Good luck!

Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)