Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunday - last day at Lackland

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

Good evening my very special friends. 

I hope my posts over the weekend were enjoyable and helpful to you all.  Sunday was a very emotional day.  We met AJ at 9:00 a.m.  We had to stay on base all day.  We went shopping so AJ could pick up some things for he would need to Tech School.  Then we met his friend and his family for a luncheon buffet.  That was a lot of fun.  His friend (Cody) is really great.  They stuck together from day one.  They never met before but they are so alike it is scary. He had a delay in his Tech School because he was having his wisdom teeth out yesterday morning.  They do not know where he is going from there.  I am sure they will be life long buddies.  After 3 days we realized his mom and girlfriend were staying at the same hotel as us.  Ironic, huh?  So we spent the rest of the time with them.  What great people.  At 2:30 on Sunday we went to the church service that AJ talked about all through Basic.  It was absolutely amazing.  I think it is just something you need to see for yourself to believe the strength, courage and love that everyone shares at the service.  Take a look at the video that was posted - it is exactly like that.  Throughout the service they sing, dance, play song videos and movie clips.  There was not a dry eye in the house.  The new Airmen are a special feature at the services.  When they enter, everyone moves aside to let them and their families through to be seated.  There is such an outpouring of respect when you walk around with your Airman.  There is no other feeling like it. 

Now, since Thursday you have heard all the good stuff.  Now, he had to leave us on Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m.  This was more difficult than went he went to basic training because he is now gone until December 4th and I will not see him for 12 weeks.  However, he has a lot more freedom.  He is at Goodfellow now in San Angelo Texas.  He said it does not look like a base - more like a college dorm.  He has a roommate who he says he likes.  They share one bathroom.  He said the room is huge. They each have their own desk for studying and large closets.

His classes do not start until Friday so he is really bored now.  He has a lot of freedom  He will go to classes from around 7 a,m, until 4 or 5 - then he has the rest of the night to himself (for studying of course).  Then weekends are free, He can not leave the base for the first 2 or 3 weeks.  Once he proves himself, he can leave the base on nights and weekends.  But he says there is nothing to do there - its in the middle of nowhere.

I would have written sooner - but my son - who loves to live on the edge - had a brainstorm.  He is gone until December.  This is much longer than we all thought.  So, his wife Mallory is trying to rent an apartment in the area for 3 months.  We already found one and should receive the application tomorrow.  In the meantime, we are trying to figure out how to get her and their Explorer down there.  We think my husband will drive Mallory there (about 3 days I think) and we will get a company to deliver the Explorer to them.  This way he can spend time off base with her.  He still has to stay on base but at least she will be near - he needs that right now. She can get a job while she is there.  We should know where they will be stationed within the next 3 weeks.  Firedogs (that's what they are called when they are studying firefighting) he found out today are usually the first to be deployed overseas - however, the class that just finished up went overseas and they don't usually send to classes in a row.

When he finishes up in December they will both drive home and the airforce will pick up all their things (including the Explorer) and move everything to wherever they are stationed. I am tellig you - there is NO moving slow with this young man.  He know what he wants and goes after it full force.  I think this will be good for both of them. He works hard all the time and would love to have her nearby and she needs him to help keep her focused.  He wants her to go back to school as soon as possible too.  I am really mixed feelings. She is living with me now and I have loved having her here.  Now I feel like I am losing another child. AJ wants this more than anything in the world and asked me to do whatever I can to help - that was all I needed to hear - I would do anything for him.

Well, if after reading my posts you have any specific questions about the graduation please let me know.  I know I tend to ramble on. 

I can not wait to hear about all of your journeys and watch you all experience what I have experienced.  Honestly, it is all very hard to put into words.  For the new comers, you can not prepare yourself for the journey you are on or about to take.  I can only say just go with the flow, be patient, be supportive and have no expectations....you will not be disappointed.

I have very strong feelings for all of you and wish I could say something or repay you all for what you have given me - a virtual stranger.  You opened your hearts and your lives to me when I felt so alone.  I am eternally grateful.

Warm regards,

Kim

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
msgzal
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Kim,

Thank you soooo much for all of your posts. I have hung on every word. It sounds that you had a great time at graduation but that parting was bittersweet. How can it be anything but? I cannot wait to follow AJs path, through you, through tech school and then his 1st real posting. It all sounds so exciting!

The great thing now is that if you have the time and financial resources, you can visit AJ whenever you/he are able. Even if you don't, at least you know you can and that must be an awesome feeling. Now it's like he is away at college instead of incommunicado somewhere.

Well, thank you again and I look forward to all of your future posts.

Lynn  

TJSproudmom
by Group Admin on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Lynn... Don't forget to send a couple of pics to me and Cindy so we can hunt himdown for you. 

Kim, thanks for sharing, glad you are back home and things are back to normal.  When you look back at week 0, doesn' t it seem like it was just yesterday? 

Take care,
Misty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)