Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms - Do you have Sisters? And if not...

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 555 Total Views

Hi fellow "All Boy" Moms!

I would love to hear whether each of you has a sister(s), and if not, does this make you feel more like the only female in the family? I grew up with one brother. When my mother dies, that's it - I'm the LAST female in the family unless and until my little boys have daughters someday. I don't even have nieces - only nephews. I'm absolutely wild about my two little boys, but I never thought that someday I'd be the "last female standing" (so to speak). Just wondering what everyone else's situations are...Do you think having a sister makes it easier for someone to fully embrace being a mom of all boys? I do have one angel daughter in Heaven who I miscarried. I like to think of her watching over her brothers and helping me to keep them safe. I think losing her made me long for a living daughter even more, but God blessed me with two incredible little boys instead. Life is full of surprises, eh? All thoughts are welcome...Thank you!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I am an only child.  I do have an SIL, but she doesn't live nearby and we only see her at most once a year.  I don't really feel like the only female in the family because there is my mom, and I have one living grandmother who I am close to, and I am fairly close to my MIL.  Plus there are female cousins who I see 2 or 3 times a year.  I don't have any nieces or nephews (and never will) so that makes me kinda sad too.  I think the fact that I'm the only female in our household (except our dog) will be more of an issue once my boys get older. 

by Group Admin on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I have a sister as well as a brother. I don't feel like I am the only female because I have my mom, sister, female cousins and 4 nieces. I love my boys but I do still wish I had a girl to do girly things with.

Jessica, SIngle Mommy To Dante (12/03/04), Landon (08/09/06) and Aviv (12/18/09)/

by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

@ Chellepenguine:  I  have a female dog too. In fact, we have an agreement that our dogs will always be female so I have another "girl" in the house. :-) That's an adorable picture of your boys!

In my case, I am thinking about this issue more now because my mother is elderly. I do have one awesome female cousin, but she is almost 25 years older than me. In fact, I made that cousin promise to live to 100 so that I'll have another female in my extended family - at least until the possibility of grandaughters someday. My kids aren't even 4 and 2 that seems like a lifetime away!

by New Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM

No sisters for me....and I do think having a sister would make it easier to be the only female in the family.

I too lost my only girl, almost 13 years ago (Dec. 1998) and every day I wish I had a girl to do girly stuff with.

I do adore my three boys (10, 8, and 2), but I still sometimes wish I had that girl too and it feels overwhelming to be the only one who doesn't get all the jokes about farts and other bodily functions! (At least I don't get why burps and farts are do danged funny.)

by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM
I have 5 sisters and 1 brother. Out of 13 nephews and nieces, I only have 4 nieces. Hoping when my 3 boys have babies they will give me some granddaughters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I have one brother.  My Momma was not at all girly.  My hubby has a brother, so until about 3 years ago I was surrounded by boys!!!  I now have a sister-in-law who is my sister, we are very super close.  I also have a girl dog who is my daughter.  She is spoiled rotten!  She has butterfly wings for halloween and a dress for Christmas and other times she needs to dress up.  I want to get her a few more dresses.

by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I have a sister plus 3 sister in laws. The funny thing is I have 4 boys and my sister has 4 girls!

Loving Wife To Jason (02/14/03), Mommy To Alex (10/03/03), Logan (08/28/05), Jayden (11/30/08) And Riley, (12/28/10)

by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Katie, I hope you'll post some pictures of your dog/daugther in her various wonderful costumes. What breed is she? I'm dying to see her in a Christmas dress! Sounds like she's a real trooper about getting dressed up. What fun!!! :-)

by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:29 PM
I have a sister and a brother and dh has a sister. Having a sister made me want to have 2 kids of the same gender.... Ofcourse i imagined them being 2 girls but once i got my boy i wanted another. So having a sister did help me in a way.

Neither of my siblings have any kids... Although my sister has a serious boyfriend and just graduated from college... I think shell have a kid in the next 3 years once they are married and settled. My sister in law had a son in febuary. No one in his family is real close. If i ever need anything i still raid her closet and she is the same way. I have my mommy too and my grandmothers as well as his mom and his 2 grandmoms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I'm so sorry about your loss!  I have longed for a daughter, but for a different reason.  My mom and I aren't close, so I always wished for a close mother-daughter relationship. You just can't concentrate on being a different sex, but on the relationships you have with those around you.  Many mother-son relationships are stronger than mother-daughter ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)