Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandma and Grandpa

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:12 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 382 Total Views
So this has been talked about over and over in my household. What will our son call his grandma and grandpa (my parents). They don't like grandma and grandpa because they are too young (both 42). Do you have any suggestions that won't make them feel old?
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2dallas602
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Maybe nana for grandma but Idk about grandpa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrisSid9
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM
Nana and Grandpa are taken by my hubby's parents because they are older. Sorry should have added that!
C8Baxter
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM
Papa?

My nieces and nephew call their grandpa Hoppa.

Quoting mommy2dallas602:

Maybe nana for grandma but Idk about grandpa.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melnik09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM

what is your parents nationality...usually with different nationalities there is a term for grandpa and grandma...like my fiance's mom is "bobchi" which is polish for grandma...i know the french one is meme...it will make them feel better because they wont hear grandma or grandpa...hope this helps

aamommy2011
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:17 AM

i asked my parents what they wanted to be called. theyre 45 and 42. i figured the earlier i give them a name for my son to call, he'll call them. i dont like the "he'll choose a name" thing.....it'll be a while before he talks.

my mom chose yaya, which is greek for grandmother, and my dad chose papa. now my grandparents are lala/mama/nana and papa, but seeing as im "mama" for a while, i told her shes getting a new name. shes doesnt like "abuela" because shes "not old" so im thinking of "bebe" which can be a derivative of "bisabuela" which is "greatgrandmother" in spanish.

but try different translations of the word. you may find something that you all enjoy.

C8Baxter
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM
How about the German versions Oma and Opa?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM
My parents said to let kellian figure it out and onday he looked at my mom ad said geegee lol my dad an my brother were joking around onday and u bro called him grumpy so it kind of stuck. My in laws chose there nationality my mil is Cherokee so we call her ulise but my sin says teetee and her husband wanted something gaelic but my son calls him choo choo Bc they watch trains together. And my husbands dad is part German so he goes by uncle opa (uncle b he says he is to young to e a grandpa ) lol and we don't know what our son will call his wife but that's a whole other story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlowingxMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM

My son calls my mom Mimi. He doesn't know what to call my dad yet. So we call him pop pop

KrisSid9
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Quoting GlowingxMomma:

My son calls my mom Mimi. He doesn't know what to call my dad yet. So we call him pop pop

I like those names! :) thanks
sktrowb
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:27 AM

my dd calls grandma - mamaw and grandpa is pap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)