Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to it all

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 113 Total Views

Hello all! I am 37 weeks pregnant with my first child due May 2nd. New to this whole cafemom thing and wanted to see what it is all about. Super scared of going into labor but excited as well. Any tips on how to handle it?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
new_mom_2011
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Dont forget to breath. Congrats, and hope everything goes smoothly. i just had my dd on 4/7. for me, it was hard cause i got to 9.5cm and 100% and ended up in a c-sec. dd decided to turn sunny side up and the epi they gave me for it made me have a 103 fever so they had to get her out

mommy2dallas602
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM
Hello and Welcome!!

Have you or will you take any parenting and labor classes? Those were very helpful to me.
When you start having contractions, time them. Drink a glass of water and take a little walk. If they get more intense and closer together, youre in real active labor. If theu are more than 10 min apart, id suggest to labor at home for as long as possible. When you cant take it anymore or contractions become closer and stronger head to the hospital. Always take deep breaths and dont feel bad if you need an epidural. Goodluck! If you have any more questions just ask!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katesager
by Katie on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Hi! Welcome and Congrats! I agree with the other posters. It is the most amazingly wonderful experience. Just relax as much as you can. Don't be afraid to get the epidural as soon as you need it. Try to enjoy the process as much as you can! You will do great!

singin2u1988
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

no i havent taken any birthing classes. I read alot and take in information from others. Also, my doctor said birthing classes wouldnt be as neccessary if i plan on getting an epidural which i def do. on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad does labor hurt? hahah i have heard SO many different answers to that.

Katiecabooble
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM

You want to be prepared on how to deal w/ pain and pressure b/c all that is what decides when to get your epidural.  I was induced and labored for 3 hrs w/o an epidura...my pain only got to a 7 or 8, I used deep breathing to help me focus and not tense up.  You don't want to tense up b/c you are working against yourself.  I decided to get the epidural when I did b/c the ickiest part for me was sitting in my own fluid (can't get up and move when on piotcin).  When your water breaks it continuely comes out w/ each contraction, I didn't know that and was grossed out by it. 

I also was suprised on how you instructed to push, it's like pushing for a bowel movement, not like a kegal, like I expected.  It was actually pretty easy.  My labor was about 8 hrs total.

Also make sure you have the people there that you want...if you only your spouse or significant other, have them...if you want all your family, cool...but if someone is trying to horn in on your birth experience, put your foot down.  I let my parents come for a short period of time and then I asked them to completely leave the hospital, I didn't want my DH to have to keep giving updates and leave my side.

Best of luck!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)