Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeding cereal

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

Is there a best time to try to feed cereal to an infant.  If i wait too long and she is full blown hungry, she is impatient and doesnt wanna try but if i try too early im afraid she is just eating but not really hungry, and i dont want that to be habit.  Any ideas?

Krystall
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM

I have never fed cereal to infants.
If you mean babyfood in general, nurse her and then offer the baby food after.   It is a gradual process.
Depending on age will alter what you're feeding.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM

we would do bottle first then cereal ...and after about a month we stop the rice and did oatmeal it was much better on my sons tummy 

mommy2dallas602
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:05 AM
I would give my son cereal when he normally would take a bottle. Like in the morning he usually ate around 9 so id offer it to him a little before 9
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sikkr
by Krystall on May. 21, 2011 at 7:10 AM
I was told never to give rice in a bottle. I was told by my pediatrician to give by spoon. I am just looking for ideas of what times are best
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 7:13 AM

no i never gave it to him in a bottle ...he got a bottle before we gave him solids ....for the first few months once he it like nine months we replaced one feeding with just solids and so on 

Quoting sikkr:

I was told never to give rice in a bottle. I was told by my pediatrician to give by spoon. I am just looking for ideas of what times are best

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life     

MOD  of  Join us in First Time Moms!

sikkr
by Krystall on May. 21, 2011 at 7:14 AM
So feed her a bottle first then offer solids?
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 7:17 AM

yea rice cereal really has not nutritional value at and they still need to be getting most of there nutrition from breast or bottle 

sikkr
by Krystall on May. 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM
I guess I kinda of thought she would get full on a bottle and not want the cereal. Thank you. You have been really helpful.
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on May. 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM

work welcome :) 

AllForEvie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM

It kind of depends on how old your baby is. You can start cereal at 4-6 mos (depending what your child's pediatrician recommends), but it's not really necessary to get her going on solids until later. We started cereal at 4 mos for her acid reflux, and did it about an hour before her bottle, but it was never intended to be a food source, really. Just getting her used to eating from a spoon.

When baby's older and you're trying to start more solids and taper off bottles/breast, what worked for us is waiting until about 30 minutes before she'd get a bottle. Then she was hungry but not starving enough to get frustrated. My daughter doesn't love baby food (even at her age, the most she'll eat is like 3/4 of a jar), so we give her solids and then she'll still eat around 6 oz of formula after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)