Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pacifiers....

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 375 Total Views

Im a proud mommy of a beautiful 3 week old boy who breastfeeds really well. thing is, he'd hang on me all day if i'd let him. I am NOT a living pacifier, so, even though i said i wouldn't while i was pregnant, i caved in and gave him a paci when he was two weeks old.

He actually started to nurse BETTER! He doesn't scratch his face as much (he always wanted his fingers before, and in his effort to get them he would scratch his face) AND he sleeps much more soundly.

I've heard all kinds of pros and cons about paci's... I wonder "did i do the right thing by choosing to give my son a paci? What brand is best, if any?" I have a friend who swears Soothie or Gumdrop pacis are best (and they're the only kind Micah will take)

I don't know if what I'm doing is "right" but it works for me! What works for you?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swtbaby1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Don't feel bad, I think whatever works to make your baby happy should be what you do. My baby loves her paci- her favorites are the mams and avents, she hates the nuk. They say that pacis have many benefits. the only problem I see if taking it away from them. I don't think you should let your baby suck on one forever- I can't stand it when I see a 3 or 4 year old still sucking on one. (My opinion sorry)

Mamamahoney8804
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Quoting swtbaby1:

Don't feel bad, I think whatever works to make your baby happy should be what you do. My baby loves her paci- her favorites are the mams and avents, she hates the nuk. They say that pacis have many benefits. the only problem I see if taking it away from them. I don't think you should let your baby suck on one forever- I can't stand it when I see a 3 or 4 year old still sucking on one. (My opinion sorry)

I can't stand that either! Two is one thing, but three years old is too old for a paci IMO

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM

My son also began nursing better after he started on his pacifier at 2 weeks old.  Prior to that he just wasn't drawing the breast far enough into his mouth, but the pacifier taught him what I was trying to!

ArronEvanmomma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM
I give my boys mam paci and they reduce SIDS I read
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM

here is what my son dentist said ....its not the binki that messes up the teeth (unless used past age three) if they are going to need dentle work its more genetic then anything, i didnt have a binki or suck my thumb as a child and guess what i had braces for four years. binki's are easy to get rid of then a thumb suck. my son liked the gumdrops as a new born and then we switched to nuk he like the shape of that nipple better since we used the same bottles  and right at two we lost the binki and he never looked back :) 

tdg119
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM
My girls are 15 mths and still use paci's; however only at naptime & bedtime. One would be fine w/o and the other cries if she wakes and can't find it. Every time I am ready to take them away they start teething again and I let them keep it a bit longer. But by/at 2 yrs old they WILL be gone as I agree I hate seeing 3-4 year olds sucking on them, plus by then they should be done teething and will be able to understand a little better that paci's are gone. I always used the Nuk brand but have recently switched to Tommy Tippee as my IL's gave us some last time they watched the girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

When my daughter was teething, we literally tried every single remedy known to man. The ONLY thing that soothed her pain was a pacifier. I am with you, I grew up with a strong belief that my children would never use pacifiers - but what it all comes down to in the end, is what works for your baby. Now, because of the teething thing, she ended up using her pacifier until her 2nd birthday. Another thing that the "me" 3 years ago would have cringed to hear. But it was either that or let her be in pain for 2 years. Now she still uses it for bedtime, but that's it, not even naptime. And we're planning on cutting it out of bedtime within the next month or so.

Like I always say, there are a million right ways to raise a child, but only one bad one. As long as you love and protect your child, you're doing the right thing!

roxy27
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I'm due any day but we were recomended the tommee tippee so thats what we bought. The nipple flattens in their mouth and contours to their pallets. The only place that carries tommee tippee is babies-r-us 

Tashina12
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM
I tried using a paci because I heard all sorts of good things about them. (including reducing the risk of SIDS). Unfortunately mikey picked his thumb instead of paci. So.. Well be fighting for years to get his thumb away lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2dallas602
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM
If it works, go for it!
My son never took a paci but I plan on giving one to the new baby if he/she will take it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)