Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spoiling

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 172 Total Views

So My four month old is crankier than normal.  She is teething and can be clingy at times.  Up to this point she has been really content and didnt need alot of holding, im afraid of spoiling her and then she wants be held all the time.  I dont want her to be on my hip at all times plus i want her to learn to play alone and be ok.  Im so nervous of spoiling her and then i'll be stuck.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this.  I know when she is hurting she wants to be comforted and im fine with that.  I just dont want her to need to be on top of me at all times.  I feel awful asking what to do.

Krystall
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM

you CANT spoil an infant ...i held my son pretty much all the time (i wore him mainly) about 95% of the time the first eight months and still my son crawled early and walked early and now at two can play by himself and sooth himself :) dont worry hun if she is in teething hold her all you can they are only babies once :)

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I agree with her ^^^

I wore my daughter for about 9 months, and she is very independent, hit all of her milestones either on time or early (never late). Our babies at that age don't know how to communicate any other way than crying, so when she gets fussy, it means she has something to say. Go to her and soothe her so she knows you're there and that you'll take care of her. Independence will come later!

amandaellis1
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM
I think babies can be spoiled for sure! I hold my son when he is pain and stuff but not all the time. He needs to be on the floor figuring things out. I never held my son ALL the time because they get used to u holding them and then don't want to actually go by themselves. Hold her but she needs her own time to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle-Lo-La
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I asked a few of my son's doctors the same thing and they all said the same thing "you can't spoil an infant". One of them explained to me that a baby can't think in those terms... it's the same as when a baby cries when one person holds them but not the other. It doesn't mean they don't like that person, it's only them learning what is comfortable and familiar. They need to be comforted and held, that's what mothers are for... nurturing. I don't hold my son 24/7 because he doesn't need it.. or like it. But when he's in pain and needs the comfort and attention, he's in my arms.

good luck momma

mommy2dallas602
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM
I agree that you cant spoil an infant. They need you at first so of course you wanna hold them when they are hurting and play mats, bouncers, or swings are great for when you dont need to hold them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tashina12
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Yep.. It's impossible to spoil an infant especially until they're at least 6 months.

Quoting mommy2dallas602:

I agree that you cant spoil an infant. They need you at first so of course you wanna hold them when they are hurting and play mats, bouncers, or swings are great for when you dont need to hold them

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)