Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strollers 2

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 203 Total Views
Why does everyone insist on getting the Graco and Chico travel systems? They're so big and bulky and I'm sorry but, kind of ugly (no offense). Plus, I don't think that the baby constantly being a car seat is very comfortable or especially safe!! I read so many bad things about it not being too safe and doctors always say they'd rather you have a bassinet and a car seat only for the car and sometimes, but rarely on the stroller. Doesn't the poor child spend enough time in the car being curled up in the infant seat? Idk!!!

That's just my opinion I guess... Anyway... I'm in between the bugaboo, uppa baby and Baby Jogger City Select... They all have bassinets and aren't made of cheap plastic... So I feel they're definitely more sturdy. They are a bit heavy, but that's ok because I feel like they're safer and I absolutely love the bassinet option!!! Why don't people get them as much? I know they might be a bit expensive, but they're the best of best 3 strollers... Wouldn't you want that for your baby???

Idk... I'm sorry if I offended anyone... I definitely did not mean to do that. I'm just curious, why everyone insists on using the infant seat if even doctors say it's sorta unsafe. What is so great about them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thejohnsonhome
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I love the bassinet option too!  however I chose the chicco travel system because I needed a car seat and a stroller.  we don't use the infant seat with the stroller though, conveniently the chicco stroller fully reclines and we can lay her down in it like a bassinet while she is still little before she can sit up and all that. we don't really even use the stroller at all right now anyway because we wear her all the time when we go anywhere.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

i think it comes down to price too ....when the infant seat cost as much as a travel sysytem it makes since to go that way ...use however had a son that hated his car seat and the strollar unless really tired and i wore my son most of the time when we were out so much easier ...with our next we are just going to use my sons convertable car seat and skip the infant one and i ll wear the baby like i did with my first so much cheaper ...i really like the bassinet and changable seats and stuff of some of the more exspensive strollers but at the same time i cant seem to wrap my head around spending a grand on something that will only be used for a few months 

JustWaiting121
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM
What sucks is that people don't even look at the prices... They're not a grand! The most expensive out of those 3 is the bugaboo and it's about $800, the uppababy is $600 and the city select is $590 with the bassinet. There are also plenty of others with a bassinet that are cheaper.

They just look and feel so much nicer than the chicco and graco.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

yea 590 is still to much for me ..when i can make a baby wrap for less then 20 and just carry my child lol .

Ludvik_Smith
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Well, we bought the Cosco infant seat/stroller combo. Obviously, we needed an infant car seat, and we also wanted a stroller, didn't have a lot to spend, and I let DF go out and get whatever he thought was best. I had my daughter in July, so although it was middle of summer, we actually didn't even go out for walks much because she was a newborn, it was terribly hot, and my being a 1st time mom felt more comfortable being safe in the house, lol. I think we used the car seat in the stroller 2 or 3 times at county and state fairs. Then it was winter and no more walks! By the time spring arrived she had outgrown the infant seat and was big enough to sit up in the stroller.

HOWEVER,

That Cosco stroller sucks! The wheels are so crappy that it is so hard to push around. I got stuck in aisles at stores, couldn't get around the grass at parks. DF and I got so fed up that just a few weeks ago we bought a new stroller. It's like a jogging stroller, one wheel in front, two in back, although the manual specifically states that it is not intended to be used as a jogging stroller. It's made by Jeep, which is funny to me, but the price was right--$159.99--only $40 more than the Cosco one we originally had. We LOVE it. You can manuveur it anywhere, and even using only one hand. It's a little heavier than the Cosco one, but it's worth it. You can even attach an infant carseat to it if you need to although it doesn't come with one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

ManaLynx
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I didn't get a travel system for the same reason - it's not good for babies to spend so much time in car seats. I almost didn't even get an infant seat for that reason too, but since it gets so cold and snowy here in the winter I thought it would be better to be able to get her all strapped in and ready to go before we leave the house, instead of having to wrestle her in while standing in a 4 foot snowdrift with arctic winds blasting the inside of the car xD

I also didn't have any interest in a bassinet stroller though, or any rear-facing stroller. It seems like it would be much more interesting and stimulating for a baby to be able to see the world while they're out, and not just mom or dad or the sky/bassinet hood.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Precisely. And with our travel system, we were able to get 2 bases so the carseat could go in either car without constantly having to re-do the straps. Our doctor never said anything about it being unsafe and in all the research we did (2 months!) we found nothing to make us believe they were unsafe.

There are sooooo many options out there, and I agree that doing your own research and coming to a decision on your own based on what you feel is right, is the most important thing you can do for your family. At the same time, that isn't to say there is only 1 right answer. The travel system worked for us. And if it doesn't work for you, that's fine. We can both be right! That's the joy of parenthood!

Quoting KelliansMom:

yea 590 is still to much for me ..when i can make a baby wrap for less then 20 and just carry my child lol .

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Us too!!!

Quoting KelliansMom:

i think it comes down to price too ....when the infant seat cost as much as a travel sysytem it makes since to go that way ...use however had a son that hated his car seat and the strollar unless really tired and i wore my son most of the time when we were out so much easier ...with our next we are just going to use my sons convertable car seat and skip the infant one and i ll wear the baby like i did with my first so much cheaper ...i really like the bassinet and changable seats and stuff of some of the more exspensive strollers but at the same time i cant seem to wrap my head around spending a grand on something that will only be used for a few months 

exoticdiva63
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM
I got a travel system for multiple reasons. I do need a carseat so it made sense to get all in one for like 150. Also i take public trans alot so the system for me is easier to carry. I dont plan on having the baby in the carseat a lot, the car seat is detachable...so hell be in the stroller part, but i did get one of those baby snuggle things and i plan to use that ALOT. Also i love the bassinet strollers but thats a lot of money for something im only gonna use for a few months. Plus ive seen women struggling on pt with them so...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArronEvanmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM
I did a travel system since twins are not easy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)