Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cereal

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

It seems that there are so many against rice cereal due to empty calories, possible tummy problems, etc. My ds is close to the age where we can introduce it. Do you plan on or did you giveyou feel it benfit it to baby? If so, did you feel it benefitted baby? How?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM

we started cereal once a week at four months ..mainly just as play and then when he really got into solids we skip the rice kind and went with oat meal it was better for his tummy ...i think its always up to the parent to decide whats best for their child 

Tashina12
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM
I tried giving it to Mikey at 4 months. Terrible experience. Tried again at 5 or 6 months and he hated it.
He took right to the oatmeal and jar fruits and veggies tho.
Personally I will not use rice cereal again as I felt it did not help Mikey at all.
babygomez
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM
I introduced it to my daughter at 4 months, she always gobbled it right up! :)
I will introduce at the same age for this baby when the time comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM

We won't use it.  It can hinder the iron absorption  for bf babies and i'd rather her have the good stuff.  it's carbs so it turns to sugar and may be causing an increase in diabetes.  I'd rather not take the chance if there is not really a point to it.

NMMomof1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I tried it in the bottle to thicken up DS formula and he HATED it. He wouldnt even try the bottle. Then at about 6 months we tried it as breakfast and he wouldnt take it then either.  I just went to oatmeal and the fruits.

lillucky8
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
We tried it but ali didnt like it, so i started making food instead, she likes sweet potato way better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baci3000
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM

We skipped the cereal and went straight to avacado in a mesh feeder when ian was 5 1/2 months. Now he's gets banana and he likes yellow squash too. In a couple of weeks I'll try giving him some oatmeal. Not the overly processed baby oatmeal though.

Ludvik_Smith
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I started giving my daughter rice cereal at about 4 months simply to introduce her to the idea of using a spoon, not for any nutritional reasons. We also used oatmeal cereal but never tried any of the other ones because when I started to give her pureed jar food we kinda went away from the rice and oatmeal cereals altogether.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

phrenicfire89
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Rice cereal is recommended because its hypoallergenic and gentle on their tummy. But using brown rice is the same and its loaded with vitamins and minerals. It just doesn't make sense to jump your infant who's only had milk, a liquid, to eating a solid food. It's to help them transition. I will be making brown rice cereal for my kids. Then go to veggies, then fruits then meats and then make them actual solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baci3000
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Check out wholesomebaby.com and kellymom.com. There is great info there on this. It`s fine to skip the cereal. It serves no purpose other than to teach baby about texture, swallowing, etc ... same thing an avacado or a sweet potato does. Rice cereal (white anyway) is actually contstipating for many babies and not so great on the tummy. The added iron in the fortified baby cereal, if breastfeeding, also interferes with the natural iron they are getting from breastmilk. IMO, better to keep foods natural and unprocessed right now. It`s also more fun! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)