Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding or formula

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 509 Total Views

HI Moms,

I am interested in hearing from all of you about your thoughts.  Breastfeed or formula???  I have a 12 month old daughter.  I started off breastfeeding and had many problems.  I had lots of infections, and struggled for 2 months.  My lactation consultant was over about 5 times a week.  She had never seen someone go through as many problems as I had.  I switched to pumping and feeding...however the shooting pains and other problems didn't stop.  I could barely hold my daughter sometimes...it hurt so badly.  I ended up having to switch to formula...first regular then soy.  My husband and I are starting to try for our second child.  I am torn between trying to breastfeed again...or just forumla feeding from day 1.  I felt guilty for so long after switching to formula with my daughter.  Any thoughts???  What have your experiences been?

Thank you for the advice.

Molly

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

my mom said the best thing ever to me when i didnt make it past six weeks with my son ....dont worry hun it took me till kid three to really get it down ..... i would say try again with the next i know i will be i think its still worth a shot to try :) you might be amazed how much better you can be at it bc you have the knowladge now :) 

babygomez
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I chose to formula feed from day one with my first, and will do the same for this baby when he or she is born.

lillucky8
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM
I breast fed for 7 weeks then due to many issues i switched to formula, i felt guilty at first but after about a day of formula dd was much much happier and is a very busy eight month old now :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM

If breastfeeding your baby isn't working out then there are other things you can do before going to formula.   It's not as healthy as other alternatives so you might save it for a last resort.
But you don't need to bother with anything at all until you get pregant, have a baby, and then see IF you're having issues.

Best wishes!

mollysmom328
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I say try at first.  I would rather try and not be able to than to fail right away and not bother even trying.  Even 1 day of colostrum/breastmilk is better than none.  Each baby is different and you might have a totally different experience.

KaityBug2011
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I tried breastfeeding. I only made it 6 weeks. I was very stressed out and have thyroid problems that I think made my milk supply decrease.. So we switched to formula. She has yet to get a cold and loves her formula. I felt guilty at first but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. For my #2 I will try and breastfed longer.

abifasc
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I had many of the same problems as you.  My lactation consultant said she had never seen someone with the problems I had put up for it for so long.  I stopped breastfeeding at 2 weeks because of how torn up my breasts were, and went to exclusively pumping.  I did good for a while because I could pump about 7oz every 2 hours. Then my supply dropped and I tried for a month to get it back up and couln't.  We switched to formula at 9 weeks.  I use parent's choice soy based formula.  With the next baby I hope to be able to EBF, but if it looks like I have to pump exclusively again, I'll just switch to formula.  The stress isn't worth it.  Plus, when my son starts solids I'm going to make my own baby food so I'll be able to contribute towards his healthy nutrtion again :)  I understand - you're not alone!

tessamalk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I've been breastfeeding my DD for four weeks now. I got frustrated and tired and gave in to formula two or three times, but other than that it's been exclusively BF. It's the healthiest option for her and I wanted to give it my best. It's been working fairly well for both of us so far.

My one issue is that I don't get a lot when I pump, and she's due to start daycare in two weeks--I'm worried I won't have enough stored up to get her through the first day or so.

I would say, give breastfeeding a shot with your second. Every baby is different; you might have an easier time with this one than you did with your daughter.

mollyb143
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Thank you everyone for the great advice!!!  It helps to hear other peoples experiences.  I will def. try again with my second and take it from there.  I love all the support you have given me!!!!

steffiecox
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM
I couldn't breastfeed even though i wanted to. There's nothing wrong with formula feeding. Its there for mothers who can't beastfeed or choose not to. Good luck to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)