Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIDS

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

I'm paranoid about SIDS. Looking at my daughters face and feeling how much I love her I can't imagine ever losing her. In fact it makes me teary eyed thinking about it. I read about the risks and when the chances decrease but I have a few questions. 

The page I read said not to let the child sleep in the bed w/ you, that she has to sleep in her crib or a firm mattress. Well, my DD hates her crib. She's 3 weeks and unless she is in a very deep sleep she won't sleep in there. If she wakes in her crib she'll scream until she falls asleep in my arms or bed. Is it really very bad for her to sleep in our bed? She's very safe because when she's in the bed I cannot fall into a good sleep. My body won't let me. 

If someone could answer that and make me feel just a tiny bit better about SIDS please do so! DF and I are paranoid. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TreysMum
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM
My son slept with me until he was six months old he's nine months now he is ok (;
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucki_flip05
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM
My son still sleeps with us and he is almost 10 months. I just practiced safe co-sleeping such as I didn't share a blanket with him he either was swaddled when he wa sreally little or know I put him in warm pjs no blankets. I made so that our comforter was tucked underneath the mattress and it only came to below my shoulders so there was no way for it to be pulled up over his face. Ur df needs to be aware of the baby also so if he is a deep sleeper put a body pillow that for a from his hip down to the bottom of the bed so if he wants to roll he will run into.that. hope that helped some
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManaLynx
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I've heard that cosleeping actually reduces the risk of SIDS. You just need to be careful, make sure there's no bedding around her that could suffocate her, make sure no one else sleeps next to her except you, check to make sure there is nowhere she could possibly get stuck, like between the mattress and the frame or wall.

My baby is a month old and she sleeps in our bed with us. I just keep blankets and pillows away from her, and she sleeps between me and the wall, and I stuffed some blankets between the mattress and wall so even when she can roll over, there's nowhere for her to get stuck.

brendens_mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM

when we brought DS home he was on oxygen and a monitor so he slept in my arms we usually slept sitting on the couch but when he did sleep with me in the bed he didnt sleep in the middle he slept in the crook of my arm untill he was able to roll over or wiggle around more

All4OneN1forAll
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM

both of my daughters co sleep and have since birth. It is much safer than leaving them alone in a crib because your breathing regulates together and your smell and the warmth from your body stimulate your baby to keep breathing and baby and you will sleep better.

BUT there is a SAFE way to co sleep. I follow these rules. I personally love Dr Sears so this is what I recommend. : ) don't let anyone tell you co sleeping is not safe, it is, there is a safe way to practice it! and good for you for following your mommy instincts!

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/sleep-safety/safe-co-sleeping-habits

abra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM

The truth of the matter is, they don't know what causes SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). It is just the label they put on unexplained deaths. The best way to avoid it, is just to be smart. I have co slept with one of my mine, and I was careful to keep her in the crook of my arm so Dh or I couldnt roll on top of her, also not drinking before bed or taking any kind of sleep aid so I was never in a deep sleep. Does that help?

whitleypittman
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

one, it's alot rarer that people want you to think. only reason they are saying to not let her sleep in the bed with you is cause if you do, she will get used to it and she'll never sleep in her own bed. i used to love sleeping in the bed with my mom... till i found out she slept nude. i don't want to go thru that with my daughter. two, unless she was born with some sort of problem, you have nothing to worry about. i was just as paranoid as you are until hospital staff told me i had nothing to worry about. try getting a basenet for her to sleep in and put it near your bed. also feed her while she's laying in her crib and start associating the crib with good things. then she won't mind it near as bad.

arj767s
by Ashley on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM
Ok here's my opinion. SIDS has an unknown cause. If a baby is suffocated while sleeping with you, the cause is not unknown. Therefore, it's not SIDS. That's just how I see it. Anyway, I have heard and read that co-sleeping reduces SIDS as long as you aren't a deep sleeper because you are more aware of the baby when it's in bed with you. There are safety measures that need to be taken though. No medicine or alcohol. No blankets or pillows near baby etc. Studies show that babies who sleep near mom mimic the breathing of their mother (another reason making it safer). That being said, I only co-sleep later in our sleep cycle when he starts to get restless. DH thinks it's a bad habit to get into *eye roll*. Ultimately it's your decision though. Many cultures cosleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katesager
by Katie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I have heard so many different things regarding this and SIDS. I think that if your baby sleeps best in bed with you, then that is great. How we should put baby down to sleep changes all the time. As long as you are not in a heavy heavy sleep, you should be fine. 

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM

We coslept for the first month or 2. It's actually a very common practice, as you can see by all the replies! They also say not to let your child sleep on his/her tummy, but that was the only way she'd sleep. I think the issue with co-sleeping is more if you're a deep sleeper and you roll over the baby (my guess, not sure if this is true) - but I can't imagine any mother sleeping so deeply that this would happen. As long as there aren't any suffocation hazards near the baby's face (pillows/sheets) before she's big enough to move them herself, I don't think there's a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)