Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby walkers...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 360 Total Views
how old was your baby when they were first put in a walker? Benji stands really well and loves to be sitting straight up or standing with help. He's 6 weeks old, i was thinking about getting him one for Christmas, even if it'll be a while before he can use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

we didnt use a walker and we had a jumper thing but my son only used it for about a month lol he was more about doing things on his own ...his jumper said four months of age i believe im not sure about walkers though

FireBoltDancer
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM
My DS was maybe 5 months. One of the best things we've spent money on. He has loved it! And he still uses it and he's almost 11 months old now. I'd say it is worth buying for sure. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRach73
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM
we are getting my 7mo. Ds one as well. Hr loves his bouncer and its nice to put him in something when I have to leave the room for a minute. I cant wait for him to be in it! So excited :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

My DD's pediatrician scared me out of using one. She told us that it develops the leg muscles wrong. And at the time, I went with what she said as law. I would do some research first of all to find out whether or not that's even true, and if it is what the risk actually is.

That said, we bought a walker for her at 9 months, right before her 9 month visit which is when we were scared out of using it!

She did have a bouncer - the Fisher Price rainforest jumperoo and an exersaucer. She loved the jumperoo a lot more than the exersaucer and used it starting at 3 months through 15 months!

import1a92
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM
I put my daughter in a cheap bear walker from Babyies~R~Us at 6 1/2 months old. She stayed in it until she was 9 months and walking semi-stable enough. Just change the settings as they get bigger on the walker and their feet are flat on the ground. Also look into Stride Rite shoes because they fit and support their tiny feet better as they begin walking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby8901
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM
...you're not supposed to put shoes on babies until they've already accomplished walking... Atleast that's what my pedi said...

Quoting import1a92:

I put my daughter in a cheap bear walker from Babyies~R~Us at 6 1/2 months old. She stayed in it until she was 9 months and walking semi-stable enough. Just change the settings as they get bigger on the walker and their feet are flat on the ground. Also look into Stride Rite shoes because they fit and support their tiny feet better as they begin walking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I only have known that they aren't good for babies, so I never used one.  
Have you researched this too?

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM
If used to early and for to long at a time yes it can. Their feet should be flat on the floor when in the seat and only spend like 30min a day in one I think that's what I read

Quoting MomToovey:

My DD's pediatrician scared me out of using one. She told us that it develops the leg muscles wrong. And at the time, I went with what she said as law. I would do some research first of all to find out whether or not that's even true, and if it is what the risk actually is.

That said, we bought a walker for her at 9 months, right before her 9 month visit which is when we were scared out of using it!

She did have a bouncer - the Fisher Price rainforest jumperoo and an exersaucer. She loved the jumperoo a lot more than the exersaucer and used it starting at 3 months through 15 months!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rory10
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM

That sounds like a great idea! I have no clue how old Rory was (sorry) but she loved it so much my mom had to find one for when we visit, which is quite often.

sreichelt26
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM

my MIL asked if she could get one for dd for christmas (she'll be 8 months) so I asked my mom group on FB what they thought and they ALL said that they loved theirs and got a lot of use out of it. 

dd loves to stand - always has - so I got her a Fisher Price Luv U Zoo jumperoo and she started using that around 3 months. she goes nuts in it. so it'll be interesting to see what she thinks about the walker since she'll be able to zoom around too. out of all my friends, i think the youngest they started using the walker was probably 6 or 7 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)