Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your Baby Can Read DVDs

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 363 Total Views

Hello,

Have you ever used the "Your Baby Can Read" learning system? I have a 3 month old baby and he seems not to pay much attention to it and I know that I need to do more then just put it on and expect him to learn on his own. I would like to know what other mothers who have used this system have done to make it more interactive for the baby.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

i really found those to be a waste ...just read to your child often and let them be kids and infants shouldnt be watching tv either (i am guilty of letting my son watch a bit touch much but im always interacting with him and the shows he watch)

arj767s
by Ashley on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I have them and my 5 month old doesn't pay attention either. Not even to the cards. I just read to him. Maybe he'll be interested later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Firstly, I mostly hear bad reviews.
But secondly, I think it's so important to evaluate the point of it.   
Why do you want your baby to read?

firefly679
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher, I can tell you that there is nothing that you will ever do to make your 3 month old read.  Or your five month old, or your 1 year old.  Babies don't read, period.  That is just a developmental fact, and IMO these products are a money sicking gimmick.  If you really want to foster development and intelligence in your child, read and talk to them.  Babies learn a ton from the sounds and cadence of your speech when you talk to them, even if you are just narrating what you are doing during the day.  And most importantly, read to your child.  A child who is read to for just 20 minutes a day from birth to age 5 will have heard over 9 million words by the time they enter kindergarten, and those children typically learn to read faster and score higher in all academic areas.

ConnorMom228
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard bad things too. It doesn't teach phonics ( sounding out the letters to make a word). Also, 3 months is way too young to expect a baby to pay attention to anything for more than 30 seconds. At that stage they are learning about the world around them, crawling, exploring a little. Let your baby just be a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!
True reading includes comprehension.
I ask why parents want their children to know how to read because folks can really take a step back and learn more about development.
Why do parents want to raise children in this manner?   We may be living in like Driv-Thru Culture, but what children need will be a nurturing foundation.  
I hope folks can explore this and see what is priority for them.
:-) 

Quoting firefly679:

As a teacher, I can tell you that there is nothing that you will ever do to make your 3 month old read.  Or your five month old, or your 1 year old.  Babies don't read, period.  That is just a developmental fact, and IMO these products are a money sicking gimmick.  If you really want to foster development and intelligence in your child, read and talk to them.  Babies learn a ton from the sounds and cadence of your speech when you talk to them, even if you are just narrating what you are doing during the day.  And most importantly, read to your child.  A child who is read to for just 20 minutes a day from birth to age 5 will have heard over 9 million words by the time they enter kindergarten, and those children typically learn to read faster and score higher in all academic areas.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm strongly biased against the Your Baby Can Read program, and I'll try to temper myself as I explain to you why (LOL).

As a former preschool teacher, I understand the importance of children needing to know each individual letter and the sounds that they make BEFORE they learn how those letters form words. If a child has no concept of the letters and their sounds, but are thrust into reading, what they are learning is "sight reading" Your child doesn't understand that C makes a certain sound, A makes a certain sound and T makes a certain sound, and when you put them together, they make CAT. Instead they see those 3 letters together and know it says cat. When they see a C in another word, they don't realize it's the same letter they see in CAT. So basically, My Baby Can Read slows down their ability to learn the alphabet and to spell later on in life. Seems like a pretty big price to pay, slowing down your child's ability to learn, just to try to make them read books sooner.

arj767s
by Ashley on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I never thought about it that way. I guess it's a good thing he's not interested! I enjoy reading to him much better than showing him flash cards anyway. :)

Quoting MomToovey:

I'm strongly biased against the Your Baby Can Read program, and I'll try to temper myself as I explain to you why (LOL).

As a former preschool teacher, I understand the importance of children needing to know each individual letter and the sounds that they make BEFORE they learn how those letters form words. If a child has no concept of the letters and their sounds, but are thrust into reading, what they are learning is "sight reading" Your child doesn't understand that C makes a certain sound, A makes a certain sound and T makes a certain sound, and when you put them together, they make CAT. Instead they see those 3 letters together and know it says cat. When they see a C in another word, they don't realize it's the same letter they see in CAT. So basically, My Baby Can Read slows down their ability to learn the alphabet and to spell later on in life. Seems like a pretty big price to pay, slowing down your child's ability to learn, just to try to make them read books sooner.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomToovey:

As a former preschool teacher, I understand the importance of children needing to know each individual letter and the sounds that they make BEFORE they learn how those letters form words.

same here!

This subject is very upsetting for me as well.

JennyWickless
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

it's still memorization. my little girl loves them but i can't say that it actually facilitated reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)