Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help - Is it Terrible twos or it's just an aweful behavior?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 363 Total Views

I have a 17 month old son, he was a very very good baby. teething was a breeze he have not gotten sick ever since he was a baby, no ear infections or anything like that ( knock on wood ). but when he turned 1, he started showing some behaviors that for me it's unacceptable. majority of kids don't really respond well to "NO"  when we say no to my son he usually stops what he is doing but the drama will start ( the crying, the screaming,) lately I noticed that he started throwing things when we say NO and also hit his head onto something. sometimes when I am holding him and i reprimand him he will bang his head on me. I don't know how am I gonna react to this situation. what makes it worst is that my husband just don't have any clue, when i am reprimanding my son and he cries, he will call him to pacify him. and sometimes when my son is doing something that he is not suppose to be doing my husband will chuckle or smile. so my son think everyhting is a joke or a game. any moms out there have the similar experience or have any advice? also do you think "time outs" or "calm down corners" will be appropriate at this age?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM
At 17 months it's a lot of redirection time ad tempers flat b of frustrations bc they can't do something. All this behavior is normal they are learning emotions and how to handle them. For my son we would count to ten if the tantrum was out of anger. Some tantrums I would just ignore as he would stop with in a few mins or so. Just remember be consistent, they don't get it over night it takes a bit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
czar79
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

thank you for your piece of advice. most of the time my son will give me a fake cry or scream but then i just ignore his actions then he will calm himself down. when he is doing something i dont want him to do i usually repeat myself a couple of time then if he will not listen to me i usually redirect him, take him out of that situation and most of the time it works. it's just that lately he's being rebellious, i guess you are right they're trying to insist their independence at the same time trying to learn their emotions. it makes me feel better to hear from you that at this age it is normal for them to act that way. i am so scared that im not being a good parent to him or im being the bad mom. how about the throwing of things and banging of his head and screaming when he doesnt get his way, what are your thoughts about this?

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

that action is also normal my son has gone through that too ....honestly just getting down to my sons level and talking with him about what he was feeling and such worked wonders...and you will notice they will go through phases and push boundries ever so often too (dealing with this right now with my son he is three) 

czar79
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I am so relieved to hear that it's not only me who is experiencing this. sometimes i feel like im doing something wrong, but i am so relieved to hear that this is just normal at this age. thank you so much. do you think time outs will work at this age?

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Time outs really don't well I don't think bc they say to put them in a time out for how many minuets they are old (by years) but can a 17mibth old really sit for a minuet. My son sure couldn't But it's something you can try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ludvik_Smith
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Totally agree with kelliansmom. I have an 18 month old. She's always been a great baby, great kid, but she throws fits now, has discovered throwing, and fake cries a lot. But it's normal. And at this age they're too young to really reprimand.

You must stay calm. Calmly tell him that you don't agree with his behavior. Then either redirect him or ignore him.

I don't have any tried and true advice because I am going through this myself right now, but it's nice to know that it's normal for this age and that you're not alone!

czar79
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Yes I agree I know my son will not stay even for a few seconds except when his watching Cat in a Hat then he will stay, LOL. Kidding aside, at this age I think they don't even know what is it all about. so i was just wondering.

czar79
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I feel better knowing that I am not alone too, that other moms are also experiencing or have experienced what I'm going through. My son was the same he was such a good baby my husbands grandparents even said that they would love to take him to church coz he will just sit there and not even cry, but now, totally changed. he's not that kid anymore. I guess good luck to all of us. thanks for sharing your experience.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Lol my son behaved so well for others lol but acts out with me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
czar79
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hahahahahaha! I can relate to that, he behaves well with his babysitter than me. I guess they're just so used to us that our discipline almost don't work,LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)