Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You an Only Child?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 433 Total Views

I'm the oldest of 4 so I know what it's like to have siblings but of course I don't know what it's like being an only child.

I'm curious because right now we only have one daughter and no definite plans to have any more babies. We'd be happy if we did but also happy if we didn't. The future is uncertain :)

So, because we are undecided, I've begun considering what would be best for our daughter. So I need your opinions: do/did you enjoy being an only child? do/did you ever wish for siblings? in your opinions, what are some pros and cons of being an only child? 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I wasn't an only child but there is a huge age cap with me and my siblings(five eight and twelve years). My husband was an only child in reality even though he has one step brother and two half siblings. We both want another child at least I e more, we both don't want to raise an only child. All though there is nothing wrong with an only child, it's all about what's right for your family :) not what's right for someone else's family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM
My niece (6) is an only child and she hates it. She never has anyone to play with and she's always asking for a little brother or sister.she calls chloe her little sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am the oldest of 6!  We only have one right now and it is very possible she will be our only...sometimes I think we should have one more just so she can have a sibling!

SCL_HF
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I was an only child. I think I have a better imagination that my DH (who had 8 siblings), I KNOW I am able to adapt better to certain situations (especially when he is out of town for extended periods of time. I do great, he freaks out lol), and I know I have a closer relationship with my mother than he has with his (it doesn't help that his mother is nutso bananas).

HOWEVER, all of these things could just be because we have different personalities in general. My DH always blames it on me being an only child though so I thought I'd share. :D

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Check out my blog! Mom & Monster - http://momandmonster.blogspot.com/

mishlerdr24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I'm not an only child but I feel/felt like it when I was younger and sometimes today I feel like I have no sibilings. I have 2 older brothers who are 6-7 years older than me. Of course they are boys and are close in age and are very very close. As they got older they went away for high school and then college so at age 7 til I moved out of my parents home at age 22 I lived by myself with my parents and I never had anyone to talk to or play with. I had to teach myself alot of things growing up and it was twice as hard cause I was an only girl and the youngest. I'd always wished I had a younger brother or sister. And I wished more it was a sister so that I had someone that I could be close to like my brothers. Even today as there are days that I struggle and just wish I had someone to call and talk to. My one brother got upset with me cause I started talking to my mom more and told me to quit telling her things, as I explained to him he understood a little but doesn't truely understand. So even though I had brothers I felt like an only child with the age difference and closeness they had with each other. 

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I am an only child. I did go through a phase in about 4th grade or so where I wished I had an older brother (LOL) but other than that phase, I have never wished for siblings. I'm really close to my parents and always have been. I don't know that that would be different if I had siblings, but I do know I loved my small family and enjoyed spending time with them just the 3 of us. I had enough friends and school at such to fulfill my "kids my age" need, and as I got into high school, I developed close friendships with 2 girls that even now I consider to be my sisters. It's great because I get the bond of siblings without having to live with them and get sick of them or not want them around! I admit I enjoyed getting all the attention around the holidays and such, and my parents were able to provide a lifestyle for me that they wouldn't have been able to afford if I had siblings. They sent me to a private school, we were able to travel often, etc. I wasn't spoiled or anything, but I do also know I was able to enjoy luxuries that some of my other friends didn't get to have. I am just as effective in working in groups as my friends with siblings, and also have the gift of being able to entertain myself without needing others around.

Justine41
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
I am one of six and my dh is an only child. I tell him all of the time he has only child syndrome...lol. He has told me when he was younger he sometimes wished he had siblings. And now he said the only think that kind of stinks is ds only has Aunt and Uncles on my side of the family. I think it's just different. We have a lot of different perspectives because we come from such different families. In the end we decided to have more than one but no offense to my family but don't want 6...I don't know how my parents did it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Oh, I thought of something else. I felt kind of bad for my DD because with me AND DH being only children, she has no aunts or uncles. But it actually worked out well, because some of his close friends and some of my close friends have stepped up to that role and they love on her and dote on her as if she were their biological neice. The nice thing about it is that none of them feel like they "have to" do anything for her, they chose to be in this role and they choose to treat her like family! :)

RAE671
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'm the eldest of Three, girls....No brothers.

ChantalsMom
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Same with me...oldest of 6, we've got one daughter 

Quoting cabrandy03:

I am the oldest of 6!  We only have one right now and it is very possible she will be our only...sometimes I think we should have one more just so she can have a sibling!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)