• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this ok?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 195 Total Views
My lo is about 13 months. She makes noises and squeals regularly but even though we try to get her to make her needs known, she doesn't. I kind of thought by now she would be waving, blowing kisses and using mom and dad words consistently. She has hit other milestones fine. She walks great, picks toys up from a standing position, drinks independently from sippy cup, helps gets dressed, eats well with fingers. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen to their lo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Sounds normal to me. Have you tried using basic sign language? Y son was like that, not really verbal at all untill after age two. But we started using sign language around nine months and by 13 months her could at least ask for more tell me he wanted to eat or drink. He also was all about hiting all his moving and walking skills. It's like their brain picks one skill to really work on and won't do the others till they are satisfied with what they have already learned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phoenixmom2011
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I did not talk until after iwas two, but when I did it was full sentences. I know a couple of kids who did the same thing. Some kids just do not want to until they are ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sikkr
by Krystall on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I have tried to do the sign language thing but she doesn't seem interested. I have been keeping trying to have her talk a little more. Like when I hand her her sippy cup I say juice everytime so maybe she will kind of figure it out. Any other things I should be doing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Does she say mama or dada or no ? Just continue to repeat things like you are . Do you read her books a lot ? Will she point to things she wants ? Like the fridge for food or snack ? Will she bring you her sippy cup when thirsty ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sikkr
by Krystall on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Mama and dada she says but we can't tell if she is just making sounds. She doesn't point to the fridge or bring the sippy cup. I try to read to her but right now she is putting everything in her mouth. I have tried to give her something else to occupy her but she always wants to eats the book. I can't wait till that stops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
How did the doc say she was doing at her 1 year check up ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sikkr
by Krystall on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM
He said she was fine. I just worry and wonder if there is more I should be doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Jut keep talking to her,narrate to her what you are doing. And keep trying to read to her. Maybe giver her a book to hold and read another(this worked with my son). Talking is like an over night thing just one morning my son woke up and was saying two word sentences around his second birthday. At 13 months he was only saying dadda and dog and ball. And we were still playing the twenty questions game to figure out what he wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

All babies are different.  My sister hardly said a word until she was 2 and then she just started talking in complete sentences one day!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Sounds normal to me too. I don't remember when my DD started using mama or dada regularly and in context, but I think it was closer to 15 months old. All I really remember is that she only had about 6 words in her vocabulary at 18 months and then by 20 months she had probably 40-50 words! Speech takes time. Continue to talk to her, and repetition is important! When you give her her sippy cup, hand it to her and say "cup" and then point to it and say it a few more times. It may be a while before she starts speaking, but that repetition will help her to remember. Like I said, at 18 months my DD hardly had any words in her vocabulary, but I remember at 15 months I could say anything to her, and while she couldn't say anything back, she knew exactly what I was saying to her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)