Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

H2o or no ?? weighing birthing options ..

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 193 Total Views
Hey all .. I'm pregnant with my first baby and nothin scares me more than the horror stories of labor lol. So far all everyone has suggested is pain meds, but I'm really more into natural or holistic types of relief . So I've been thinking about a water birth with no meds. I've done some research and the benefits seem to be really good .. so has anyone else tried this? I'm curious as to how it went and if its a good idea. If you haven't tried it, can you still share how you're labor and method of delivery went? I'm not due until September 19th but id like to be mentally prepared lol that is the scariest part after all ..
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arj767s
by Ashley on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I had a failed induction turned c-section. SO not how I wanted it to go. But I've heard great things about water births. You could look into birthing centers in your area and find a good midwife. If I were to do it over again, I'd have a doula. You may start there. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ludvik_Smith
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I did not have a water birth but I can't recall ever hearing a bad water birthing experience.

I was induced a week after my due date. I took Cytotec orally on a Tuesday but was sent home because I wasn't dilating or effacing yet. The Cytotec began Braxton Hicks contractions. On Thursday night my water broke so I went in and got settled in for the night, still not dilated. In the morning (Friday) they started me on Pitocin which is when real contractions finally started. I dilated very slowly but my contractions were so frequent...yes they were painful, but it was more the frequency of them that wore me down, there were no breaks! I did cry a little. I like to think of myself as having a high pain threshold, but I went into labor not against the idea of pain meds. So when the time was right I opted for an epidural.

The lady performing my epidural failed. Not her fault, she tried multiple times to get that damn needle in my spine but it didn't feel right to me (she told me what to feel for and tell her to stop if it felt weird) and my contractions were so close together she just couldn't do it. So she gave me an epidural shot, which I'd never even heard of before. Just a quick shot in the back and I was numb from the waist down. I could still tell when I was having a contraction but it didn't hurt. I felt so much better and I dilated much quicker after that, I think being relaxed and not so tense really helped. After about 3 hours the shot begins to wear off so I got another one then was ready to push.

I only pushed 3 times...took about 30 seconds to a minute to push my daughter out even though I was totally numb! It was awesome.

Sorry so long!

I'm still not against pain meds although I'll never attempt an epidural again, I'll get the shot over that any day! But I'm not against no-pain meds births either. If I ever have the opportunity to go through that again, I'll try to go without pain meds, but won't be ashamed to give in either.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM
I was able to do 44.5 hrs of hard labor with no pain meds. Unfortunately once I got to 5 centimeters dilated, they lost dd's heartbeat and rush me in for an emergency c-section.
I would have LOVED to do a water birth! I had a huge tub in my hospital room, I was planning on getting in not too long before they rushed me out :(
If I ever get a chance to have a baby again, I'm hoping I won't have to have another c-section. I would absolutely do an unmedicated water birth. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
You should look into getting a doula. Around here, there is a program where a doula will work with you for no cost. :)

I did not have a water birth. If there were birthing centers in the area, or if my hospital had offered it, I probably would have considered one. I had an epidural, even though I swore throughout my whole pregnancy that I wouldn't get one! Lol. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad either. It helped me relax some and I was able to rest a little (went to the hospital at 3 AM). If you want a water birth, go for it! I've heard amazing things about them. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM
Check our the natural birth group. There are lots of wonderful birth stories. I planned on a water birth but baby was breech. I still had him naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mishlerdr24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I'm not going to go into details about my labor, but the best advice that I gave myself and I'm going to tell you is to quit listening to other mom's labor and delivery stories cause it will scare you more. Espeically when it get closer to time. The only mom's I talked to about that is just family . Once you have your LO then you'll want to share and listen to other mom's stories! If your heart feels more like you want to have a water birth then go for it! I would just educate yourself with it and you have to mentally perpare yourself. Good Luck momma!! And Congrats on your pregnancy!!! Enjoy every minute of it because it will go fast!! and you will miss it one day believe it or not! lol 

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

If your not into pain meds I definetly recomend a water birth....if I ever have another its what I'm going to do.  Before I got my epidural the ONLY relief I got was in the tub, it was amazing!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I did not have a water birth. I don't think I know of anyone personally who has, although I do know there are several moms on here that have and I've never heard a bad thing about it.

I had a vaginal delivery with an epidural. There were a couple complications here and there, but for the most part, it was smooth sailing. It was exactly the birth plan I wanted. That's the most important thing, plan plan plan and make sure everyone knows your plan. Print out copies for doctors and nurses - and when the shift changes, have more copies for the new doctors and nurses. The people you want in the room with you should know your plan too. Sometimes, things happen that are beyond our control, but the more people know what your birth plan is, the more they'll fight to make sure you get it.

Good luck!

Si21
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Good idea thanks for the tip !

Quoting MomToovey:

I did not have a water birth. I don't think I know of anyone personally who has, although I do know there are several moms on here that have and I've never heard a bad thing about it.

I had a vaginal delivery with an epidural. There were a couple complications here and there, but for the most part, it was smooth sailing. It was exactly the birth plan I wanted. That's the most important thing, plan plan plan and make sure everyone knows your plan. Print out copies for doctors and nurses - and when the shift changes, have more copies for the new doctors and nurses. The people you want in the room with you should know your plan too. Sometimes, things happen that are beyond our control, but the more people know what your birth plan is, the more they'll fight to make sure you get it.

Good luck!

Si21
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice ladies ! simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)