• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband is so not helping, and I need it.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 228 Total Views

Ok so my DH hates picking out stuff for the baby, he tells me that its up to me. I ask about strollers, car seats, playard, everything and he just shrugs and says he likes it, to everything. UGH!!!! So its pretty much up to me. I have two stroller systems picked out from Babies R Us and the safety ratings and user reviews are great but they are both $300. I am not a fan of Graco or Safety 1st. The 2 I have picked out are from the Chicco Cortino Collection. I love them. Is spending that much on a travel system ok or is that way too much. UGH I wish I had someone  to go shopping with me lol. I am pretty much on my own. Help!!!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM
That's about what ours was but the stroller broke at five months and we got him a new carseat at six months. With the next one we aren't doing the infant seat but getting a convertible seat and using the stroller we got after the last one broke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arj767s
by Ashley on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
My husband was the same way and, being military, I didn't have family to help. That is a bit to spend on a travel system (not TOO much) but if it's nice and you like it, go for it. Have you tried them out in the store? Try adjusting the carrier straps and collapsing the stroller with one hand a few times. You'll see which is easiest for you. My son didn't like the carrier, so we switched to the convertible carseat around 3 months. I do still use the stroller though, so make sure you like how it looks without the carrier. You will use it more in the long run. You can always post pics. I'm sure plenty of us would weigh in. ;)

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ahyb
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

UGH Mine is the same. He even gets upset if I ask him to help me set up little stuff like the Pack n Play I put together tonight or the stoller I did last week. Anytime I ask him to go to Babies R Us with me to check stuff out we could use he get's all grumpy about it. He is excited about the baby and everything, but he doesn't care about any of the baby's stuff. :(

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

i'm right there with you mama! DH doesn't like to pick anything out except he likes to have an opinion about things AFTER i bring them home. like my carseat, i picked one with good ratings but it also matches my betsy johnson purses and my diaper bag and i ordered the matching infant carrier. he kept saying he didn't care about my carseat choice so i picked the one i fell in love with and he hated it because it was too girly. i told him i'll buy a seperate convertible one for his car lol. i don't have family here either so i rely on sending pics and info to my mom and asking for opinions through text. i have no friends who have kids.. or are even married so that's out too. 

i don't think spending 300 is too much if you have it. i have gotten everything on sale so i only spent 55 on her carseat, 20 on the infant carrier and 10 on the diaper bag, all new. i chose not to go with the travel system because i'm gonna baby wear. 

as long as your DH is excited about the actual baby, i wouldn't feel too bad. i think most men leave it up to their woman :)

Wife to an amazing man 08/29/2011
Mommy to 1 little girl on the way 06/02/2012
sienasky
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM
That's how much I spent on chicco key fit. Actually my husband wanted it and I didn't b/c the car seat is really heavy to carry and so is the stroller...I wish I would have picked out the one I wanted b/c I an the one lugging it around everywhere...what ever you get, I recommend a lightweight one.
md_1015
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM
My dh had no interest in picking things out so I picked out everything that I wanted.
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We got the Chicco Cortina Travel System and loved it. Although, when we got it, it wasn't $300. For the system and an extra base for the carseat (so it'll fit in both cars without having to re-fasten it) was still less than $250.

Our DD stopped using the carseat in the stroller around 6 months, but she was comfortable in it without the carseat for another year or so - then she got too independant and didn't want to be in her stroller anymore! So we did only end up using the whole thing for 18 months and not much past that, but it was still a good investment in my opinion. And it's still in fantastic condition, so if we decide to have more kids, we can reuse it.

I'm sorry your DH isn't being more helpful. My guess is that he's probably overwhelmed and doesn't really understand what everything is or why you need it. In fact, it may not have even sunk in for him yet that he's going to be a daddy. If I were you, I'd probably continue to try to include him, but try not to get discouraged when he doesn't get excited about it. It'll happen eventually.

Good luck!

Rachellee12
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Honestly , it depends on how active you are. If you go places ALL the time, then yes.... those things are a life saver. If you go out sometimes, it might still be a good value (for safety). I had two, both gifts, we NEVER used one, BUT we still have the stroller of the other, it's so convenient, so helpful. Cupholders, diaperbag rack, food tray, etc. Try and look at the one that has more to it, the one that has more to it, usually is heavier, and more of a pain. Look at the ratings, and reviews, and of course the patterns. The one that is more (universal, or cute, or whatever it is you're looking for ) will be more useful to you. I know I had to have a nuetral one, because I found myself trying to match my sons clothing to anything and everything when he was younger. And in my oppinion, this is your child, nothing will be too much. =] good luck hunn.

Oh, and if you have two vehicles, either buy two car seats (with base, that goes with the travel system---same brand) or just buy two bases, because trust me, trying to get the base two fit two different cars all the time, is a pain in the BUTT!!!!

angel_2211
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Thank you for all of the advice. I finally got DH to get on board. He picked out a stroller made by Jeep and its all terrain since we are very outdoorsie people. We found a car seat that is pretty much the same colors as the stroller, and it comes with 2 bases. We decided against the stroller system since the stoller and car seat we found are cheaper.

MamaHeering
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I think strollers are a must! We use ours almost everytime we go out. If it is one with the carseat thats great, but we got our son the forward or rear facing carseat at  6 months. So it really depends on what you want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)