Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother's Day ... PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 23 Replies
  • 401 Total Views

Earlier today I put out Mother's Day cards in our shop .. of course I had to read each and every one of them!! Then I got to thinking .. about last years Mother's Day .. my first! I wasn't expecting much for my first Mother's Day .. but I was at least expecting a card and maybe some Mommy time. What did I get .. woken up before the sun had come up and had sex. Then spent the rest of the day with DD while DF slept .. all day until he left in the late afternoon to do trivial crap at work. Then I went to both my step & bio moms houses to spend some time with them. To say the least I am still upset over it. I got cards and gifts from both of our families sure .. but it would have meant more to receive something from him you know. And it's not like he didn't know when it was .. he reminded his friend the day before that Mother's Day was the next day and to get his Mom a card because he hadn't done anything yet.

When Father's Day came I had given him a photo collage with pictures of him and DD, a lunch bag (he needed one for work, he rather get gifts that he can use than something that he really doesn't) and a really cute card from DD. I let him sleep all day .. made him breakfast and a nice dinner. I even told him to his face "Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to be a Mother to our DD, I am so happy that you chose me to be the Mother of your child."

So with Mother's Day coming up in a few weeks .. I'm not expecting a single thing from him. I'm not even going to mention anything. I have major holidays circled in red marker on our fridge .. if he doesn't notice that .. then whatever. But I will still do something for him for Father's Day so that he has those mementos. 

Do you think that I'm over reacting about this in any way? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I'd be a little dissapointed too if dh didn't do anything for me.  We live on a tight budget so I don't expect much, but last year he at least told me happy mothers day and let me sleep in a little bit in the morning  :)  Hopefully your SO will do better this year!

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Same here .. I even told him that when I finally said something the following day. Heck, he could have made me a card!! LOL His response "But hey, you got some good sex right?!" Sorry hun .. I get that any other day so it wasn't anything special!! LOL 

Quoting cabrandy03:

I'd be a little dissapointed too if dh didn't do anything for me.  We live on a tight budget so I don't expect much, but last year he at least told me happy mothers day and let me sleep in a little bit in the morning  :)  Hopefully your SO will do better this year!

CafeMom Tickers
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

lol guys can be really dense sometimes!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

Same here .. I even told him that when I finally said something the following day. Heck, he could have made me a card!! LOL His response "But hey, you got some good sex right?!" Sorry hun .. I get that any other day so it wasn't anything special!! LOL 

Quoting cabrandy03:

CafeMom Tickers
mrsminter
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Hints don't work with guys. They are completely oblivious to it. I would come right out and ask if he has made a dinner reservation for Mother's Day or if he needs any help arranging the sitter. Make your expectations known. At least that way if he blows it off again you can have some real ammo.

Stop by my blog!

January 2009 - TTC 
October 2010 - Unicornuate uterus discovered; infertile. 
February 2011 - DSHS Orientation 
April 2012 - PRIDE Pre-Service Training (27 hours)
April 2012 - First Aid/CPR and BBP/HIV Training (6 hours)
April 2012 - TB Tests 
April 2012 - Paperwork mailed to DSHS! 

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to remind him about everything!! Typical guy!! I just thought he would actually take initiative and do something .. other than my wake up. I hate to be pushey .. but if that's what it takes to get a 99cent card than so be it!!! LOL 

Quoting mrsminter:

Hints don't work with guys. They are completely oblivious to it. I would come right out and ask if he has made a dinner reservation for Mother's Day or if he needs any help arranging the sitter. Make your expectations known. At least that way if he blows it off again you can have some real ammo.

CafeMom Tickers
olivejuice2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM
It sounds to me like you're expecting him to read your mind. If you don't tell him straight to his face what you want, it is hard to sympathize with you getting upset when he doesn't do it. Yes, it would be amazing if he could/would do something sweet and thoughtful without having to be reminded ahead of time, but the fact is you married a straight man. If you wanted sweet and romantic surprises without you having to ask, you should have married a gay man or a woman.
megangary
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

No not at all. Last year my DH and I talked about it a little in advance. If I don't drop hints, he doesn't do anything. I didn't get anything for my 21 birthday because I didn't bring it up enough. Just make a comment like "OOh I saw the cutest mother's day cards today.. not you didn't forget about that did you?". 

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I had the week before. I work in a flower shop and told him that I knew I was going to be too exhausted to want to go out on Mother's Day that I just wanted to stay in. With our budget I told him I wouldn't mind a card .. but no flowers since I work with them every day. Then when he said that he was going with his friend to get his mom a card I reminded to get his mother one ... 

Quoting olivejuice2:

It sounds to me like you're expecting him to read your mind. If you don't tell him straight to his face what you want, it is hard to sympathize with you getting upset when he doesn't do it. Yes, it would be amazing if he could/would do something sweet and thoughtful without having to be reminded ahead of time, but the fact is you married a straight man. If you wanted sweet and romantic surprises without you having to ask, you should have married a gay man or a woman.

CafeMom Tickers
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hahahaha I did that for my birthday last year!!! I saw a Halloween themed birthday card (my bday is the 29th) and I commented on how growing up I didn't have a Halloween themed bday party or card and how cool it would be to get that card from someone ... obviously that wasn't a big enough hint. So I went back and bought it myself!!! 

Quoting megangary:

No not at all. Last year my DH and I talked about it a little in advance. If I don't drop hints, he doesn't do anything. I didn't get anything for my 21 birthday because I didn't bring it up enough. Just make a comment like "OOh I saw the cutest mother's day cards today.. not you didn't forget about that did you?". 

CafeMom Tickers
mishlerdr24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I don't blame you! My DF did NOTHING for my birthday last year and again this year! I was pretty upset and took it out on him a couple days afterwards! I've went way out of my way on his birthdays to make him feel special and he got me a card and that's it! You're not overreacting, you're just wanting to feel special on a speical day. I don't think that's asking too much. I just know that if my DF doesn't do anything for me on Mother's Day, and this is going to be my first Mother's Day, I just know he won't be getting anything from me on father's day nor his birthday. If he can't make me feel special the hell am I going to make him feel special! But that's just me. If you're feeling gulity about it, I wouldn't, you can make picture's any other day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)