• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccines *edit

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 351 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My DS who's 14 months had some shots yesterday. I'm so proud of myself that I didn't cry! Moms did you cry when your baby got their shots? What did you do later to make them comfy? Let's face it... his boo boo's still hurt. My mom suggested I give him some baby advil and it seems to really help him. Any other suggestions?

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. Adam is feeling much more like hs old self! He's wild and hyper. The infant advil and warm baths did the trick... along with several cuddles. =) You're all awesome!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ludvik_Smith
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I can't say I bawled my eyes out, but yes, the first time Laura got shots I did tear up and WANTED to bawl! It gets a teeny tiny bit better each time but of course as a mother it still bothers me to see my baby in pain.

It is recommended to give some baby acetaminophen BEFORE the appointment but I never have because I know that my daughter handles shots well.

If the injection site is swollen and painful I suppose you could try soothing the pain with a cold washcloth.

Other than that, lots of hugs and love! 

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I always hate vaccination days, it makes me feel so bad to see her in pain.  I usually give her baby tylenol right before her appointment...and every 4-6 hours for the rest of the day. Tylenol helps a lot!

mishlerdr24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I cried so hard the first time Jace got his shots! I prolly cried harder than he did and cried to my own mother saying I never want to do that again, but knowing I have to to protect my baby. I gave him baby advil like you did and cuddle cuddle cuddle! Plus I would sometimes rub the spot softly. I try to think want I did to myself when I got my shots. The spot is sore and sometimes when you rub it it's like a feel good hurt pain. lol 

But like all the other momma's said, lots of cuddle time, hugs, love and many kisses cure anything!

megangary
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Thanks everyone. This time was as bad for me as the newborn shots. I thought this would get easier, but it hasn't. He's done much better on the advil. I'll try all your advice on the shot sites. You're all awesome!

seaniesmommie87
by Echo Lee on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I cried alot. The nurse had to explain to me that it was for my child's best interest that she get her vaccinations. How embarrassing.

TwinsFanMama
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:44 AM
I tear up, especially when he's crying and saying mama :( but I know it's for the best and it's only for a couple minutes. He'd be crying and in a lot more pain if he got any of those diseases! I usually give him Tylenol before the appointment, then after as needed. I will put cool washcloths on his legs if they look swollen, but otherwise we usually just cuddle on the couch and doze for the rest of the day. It's hard, but that's just part of being a mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RileyMom9.10.11
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:48 AM
This exactly

Quoting cabrandy03:

I always hate vaccination days, it makes me feel so bad to see her in pain.  I usually give her baby tylenol right before her appointment...and every 4-6 hours for the rest of the day. Tylenol helps a lot!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

For all the moms that mentioned Tylenol/acetaminophen, I heard a news article the other day mentioning that the dosages have changed due to the possible liver damage. Please consult your pediatrician about this if you give it to baby!

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Thanks, I will look into it!

Quoting MomToovey:

For all the moms that mentioned Tylenol/acetaminophen, I heard a news article the other day mentioning that the dosages have changed due to the possible liver damage. Please consult your pediatrician about this if you give it to baby!

CafeMom Tickers
tessamalk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I laughed a little bit the first time... Chloe turned SO red when she screamed, I just couldn't help it. But I did feel bad for her and I picked her right up and let her nurse as soon as the doctor left the room and she was fine.

I usually give her some baby tylenol or ibuprofen right before we go in for shots.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)