Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Infested!!! *pics*

We had 2 dogs, and no fleas, then out of no where we got infested with them. Killed both dogs n is now attacking my son. we have sprayed, vaccumed, and everything we can think of and they are still here. Does anyone know of anything else we can do. I'm afraid that this will make him sick. HELP PLEASE!!!!

his back n legs. some of them have gone away but it seems like once they do new ones pop up. if it was just me n my fiance i wouldnt be as worried but since I have a little one I want to try everything

in lovebaby boy

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
625Patty
by Patty on May. 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM
call your landlord it's their responsibility to get rid of the possums and do it asap because that looks horrible on your poor little baby. I don't know for sure but if the infestation is that bad the landlord may need to pay so you could get a hotel to get rid of the infestation. That part is renting it's their responsibility to keep things proper.

Quoting Mommys_boy0419:

Quoting LilDzMamma2010:

Bomb your house. or move

if we werent renting we would rip up the carpets and put down some tile.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CAPTUREDBYDAISY
by New Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

First thing first - take the baby to the doctor immediately

Mommys_boy0419
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I will call him. someone told me since the fleas werent here when we moved in then it's our problem. But the opossums have been here the whole time. So i;m going to have him take care of them n ill take care of the fleas. N everytime I called the doctor today I got voicemail n it said it was full so I'm calling tomorrow n having my mom or fiance take him to the urgent care, while i'm at work.

MadJack607
by New Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Try borax. Sprinkle it all over the house. Couchs, beds, carpets, and tile. Leave overnight. Stay at someones house that way your mattresses can be covered. Than go in a vaccum. After resprinkle your carpets. Make sure the baby doesn't crawl over it and vaccum after a few hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
625Patty
by Patty on May. 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Flea eggs can lay dormant for years, until something comes along and disturbs them. so first of the landlord should of gotten rid of the possums before you guys moved in, and second it still could be the possums that released the fleas. All they had to do was going to a different spot they have it been to where the flea eggs were resting. Maybe your dogs scared them so they went further under the house. Regardless it is still your landlord's responsibility to get rid of the possums and the infestation.

Quoting Mommys_boy0419:

I will call him. someone told me since the fleas werent here when we moved in then it's our problem. But the opossums have been here the whole time. So i;m going to have him take care of them n ill take care of the fleas. N everytime I called the doctor today I got voicemail n it said it was full so I'm calling tomorrow n having my mom or fiance take him to the urgent care, while i'm at work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nay1983
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I agree with the other ladies...call your landlord and have him set traps to get rid of those opossums.  If your landlord can't get out there quick then see if any friends/family have traps.  I saw on an exterminator show that opossums will take almost any bait but fish, apples, and canned pet food are some common bait (see below). 

Suggested opossum baits

Havahart® recommends the following baits to attract opossums:  Use a small plate to place the bait at the end of the live opossum trap.  

Fish

Apples

Canned pet food

Definitely take your baby to urgent care to get it looked at.  If it killed your dogs that quick that's scary. 

LilDzMamma2010
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Honestly i would do it anyways. the health of your family is more important

Quoting Mommys_boy0419:

Quoting LilDzMamma2010:

Bomb your house. or move

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on May. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

If you're renting, then call the landlord! They need to send someone out to fix this problem fast! I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope it can get taken care of soon.

Quoting Mommys_boy0419:

Quoting LilDzMamma2010:

Bomb your house. or move

christineT79
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I've been a vet tech for the past 10 years & I've seen this alot. Fleas can get out of control very quickly (in a matter of a day). The best thing to do is to use a good flea product on the dogs. I reccomend Frontline, Advantage or Advantix. Do not use anything over the counter on the dogs like any Hartz products because they don;t work & can be dangerous to the dogs. You might need to call your vet to get the flea products. Then just vacume alot. U can put a cut up flea collar in your vacume cleaner bag & that helps kill the fleas & eggs that ur vacume sucks up. Also you can call your vet for a prescription called Capstar. It's a pill that you give the dogs & it kills the fleas on them within 5 minutes. Good luck

crystalplus1
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Oh poor baby! I would be pulling up carpets they lay eggs in it and can live in it. When you vacuum do you empty it out right away? If you have one with a bag toss it out dont keep it in the house. Fleas are bad this time of year. We had a bunch of cats killed by flees a few years back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN