Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

First Air Travel with infant

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 151 Total Views

So I am new to this (CafeMom) and to what I am about to ask.

I am traveling next month via air plane to San Diego to see my mother-in-law with my husband and 5m old son. As for when we get there I'm not too worried, it won't be too much different then when we go see Paw Paw who lives about 90 miles away. What I worry about is the flight with our son. Does anyone have any pointers, advice, suggestions? I'm so worried that this flight is going to be a nightmare and I didn't even pay for it >.<

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
At that age it's really easy :). During landing and take off have then suck on something either with a binki or feed them :) this will help stop their ears from popping. Sitting by a window seat is nice to give them something to look at. Many says Sony check the carseat. We always checked it at the gate more luck that it will be on top of the pile of luggage and not the bottom or you can buy a seat and use the carseat. TSa can not and I mean can not make you drink in formula or breastmilk our have during the security check process just let them know as you are going through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IvyRoseLMT
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Have a toy or 2 he/she likes. I'm bout to do same thing next month with my 4 month old.
Wr bought him a,seat. And ill check his stroller for our layover :-) I'm just worried cuz its just me flying with glenn. Hubbys got stay home for work.. from west coast to east.
ConnorMom228
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Ds was 5 months also when we flew with him.  It was pretty easy actually.  We took the carseat on the plane with us and checked it up front when we boarded. I had a carrier for him, and kept him in my lap.  He slept most of the time both ways.  I also had some bags of breastmilk on the way there, and all I had to do was let them know I had it.  They don't have to "check" it.  And both bags were 5 oz I believe.  The flight attendant told me to take him out of the carrier and hold him for take off and landing (which is stupid, but I did it).  Also, have a paci, bottle, or breast ready for take off and landing.  The sucking helps to limit the pressure in the ears with the change.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I agree that at that age, it's pretty easy. My daughter was 8 months old the first time we flew with her, but even then it was still pretty easy. She was content just to sit on our laps and sleep or play. I would pack something for him to suck on, like a pacifier, etc, just in case he needs some help with ear pressure during the take off and landing. I would bring a favorite toy, and also at least one new toy for him to explore. We also brought a couple of "forbidden" items with us - a remote with the batteries taken out & a set of (clean) keys - things they'd never be allowed to play with at home, but can't hurt anything while you're away. If you already read lots of stories to him, bring along a few of those to enjoy together, and if you have him on any kind of solids, maybe bring a few snacks. Other than that, he'll most likely sleep most of the way (and even if he doesn't, he shouldn't cause much fuss!). Good luck!

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM
My son is 6 months old and has been on 10 airplanes already. If you bottle feed, bring enough bottles and formula for the time at the airport and the flight. Bring extra incase of delays. Bring baby's favorite toy or blanket. Anything that is comfortable for him. Put him in layers incase he gets too hot or too cold. You can check the carseat at the gate or baggage drop off for free. Sometimes if there is extra seats they will let you bring the carseat on so baby can have their own seat. However they do not allow rear facing carseats. You can also bring a stroller and check that at the gate. You are allowed to bring a diaper bag in addition to your carry ons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GinGinkitty
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thank you for all the different tips. I didn't know I could take his diaper bag along with my other items, that will help a lot! I was probably going to use a carrier on the plane. But I have both a sling and backpack style 5 way carrier... which one would probably work best at the time?

MrsAdorkable
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/airplanes/airplanes.html 

carriers in turbulence can make human projectiles, much like this 

Quoting GinGinkitty:

Thank you for all the different tips. I didn't know I could take his diaper bag along with my other items, that will help a lot! I was probably going to use a carrier on the plane. But I have both a sling and backpack style 5 way carrier... which one would probably work best at the time?

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jun. 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Id bring the along but baby can not be in it during take off, landing or if tere are turbulence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ludvik_Smith
by Jessica on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

When you're taking off and landing they will make you put your seatbelt on but baby cannot be strapped in with you so you probably won't be able to have baby in the carrier at those times.

Be prepared for the airplane bathroom to NOT have a changing table...some do, some don't. It's not fun changing baby in that tiny bathroom but it's better than baby leaking on you halfway through the flight..that happened to me! So be sure to pack diapers and wipes.

When we travel, some rules that I like to follow go out the window, for example, eating too many snacks...if snacks keep my daughter quiet and happy then she gets more than I'd like her to have. (Of course your guy is still only 5 months old so he probably doesn't snack much).

Be prepared for it to not be so comfortable, and be prepared for your guy to cry...but don't panic, don't stress, your stress will only stress out your LO more. Try to stay calm and go with the flow. If baby cries, oh well...that's what babies do :) 

GinGinkitty
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Mmkay, I've gone to the AA website and read through more or less all of their stuff on children flying. The AA planes will have bottle warmers but their small sub companies do not. I've already started weaning him to room temprature bottles which he takes fine. But that means I have to ask myself if I should just take powder formula, or get premixed formula since both will be accepted at security.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement