Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Tips for Traveling with Little Ones

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 159 Total Views

Now that summer is in full swing, more and more people are starting to take their vacations. But as first time parents, it may be hard to know what to take for the little one.

So, if you've been there before, offer some tips/checklists to help new mommas out there prepare for traveling with baby.

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Toddlers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Diapers

I usually would try only to bring enough diapers to get us to our destination (and then a few extras, just in case). Then, once we got there, we could pick up a small pack of diapers and not have to worry about taking up too much luggage space

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Same is true for wipes

Quoting MomToovey:

Diapers

I usually would try only to bring enough diapers to get us to our destination (and then a few extras, just in case). Then, once we got there, we could pick up a small pack of diapers and not have to worry about taking up too much luggage space

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Formula

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Bottles

muisjes
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Sunscreen?
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Coloring books & crayons

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Books

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Toys

One of my favorite things to do is take one of her most favorite toys and hide it about a week before we leave, and then surprise her with it on the trip. I also like to buy her a new (cheap) toy and not let her see/play with it until we're off. And this doesn't work as well with my 3 year old anymore, but she loved this when she was younger: bring along a "forbidden" toy. We usually washed/disinfected our keys and let her play with them. Not a whole lot of harm she can do when the car/house is miles and miles away. And also a tv remote - just take out the batteries and let them go to town!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Clothes

This may be a "duh" but it's still true. And pack more than just enough for each day. You never know if there's going to be a diaper blowout, or perhaps something gets dirty while playing in the grass by the reststop, etc.

And it's also important to be aware of what the weather will be like where you're going. It may be different than where you live, and may require different clothing than what you're used to. For instance, when we visit my ILs who live in NE (we're in FL), even in the summer, it's a good bet to pack a sweatshirt and pants, because compared to here, even the nights in SUMMER are cold!

fahmom
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Depends on age. When we went to South America when our DS was 2 months old he didn't require much other than diapers and wipes, clothes, and a few toys. He nursed and slept most of the time. It was 3 flights and over 12 hours of traveling with layovers. He did great. I would suggest a baby carrier but one that is easy to get on and off going through security. The ergo is my fav. Because we were in a foriegn country and I didn't speak the language I brought stuff I wasn't sure I would be able to locate just in case I needed them like a thermometer, vaseline, nasal saline, baby tylenol, sunscreen, diaper cream, etc. While it was summer in the US it was wet and rainy everyday we were in Colombia so we had packed warmer clothing for DS.

We are traveling again this summer to a Costa Rica and DS will be 17 months old. It will be a little more interesting this time around. Its only 2 flights and 6 hours traveling this time around. I anticipate bringing more toys, snacks, and activities to keep busy. I might get lucky on the first flight and DS will nurse and sleep the hour flight to Dallas. We will likely go ahead and purchase a third seat because our son will likely become restless on our longest flight of 4 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement