Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Postpartum constipation

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 1126 Total Views

I gave birth via emergency cesarean section to a beautiful baby girl on June 5 at 12:38 pm.

7 lbs, 12 oz, 20 1/4 inches

Ladies, I am experiencing a whole host of postpartum symptoms but the main one that is concerning me tonight is severe postpartum constipation and have tried every single method to make it go away so that I can go....if you know what I mean.  Well, tonight, ate every fiber-laden food I could think of, drank down some miralax, took a stool softener and even ate taco bell...still nothing and my belly is getting rock hard and the pain is horrible.. It hurts to sit, stand, lie down, walk... I go to the bathroom at the beginning of Ice Age and come out at the end w/little to show for all that time except for straining and pushing... HELP!!

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perezamberly
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here mama! I gave birth June 19 and had a 3rd degree episiotomy to my butt so I kept taking still softeners and they didn't work! Then one day I shit my pants HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM
It sucks!! Have you tried a laxative? I got to the point of buying them because I needed to go so bad and before I even took them I ended up going. You can also try pears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angieballerina
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM
It happened to me too. I finally asked the doctor for a laxative. It took me about three weeks to get back to normal. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnorMom228
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM
You could take a laxative, but it's very uncomfortable. An enema may help stimulate things too. Not fun either way. But you don't want to wait too long to fix it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud60002002
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM
My aunt is a nurse and in having the same problem she told me something she gives her residents at work, it's called the bomb. Drink equal parts of prune juice and miralax and she said it takes effect right away, I wond up not needing to make it but it's worth a try. She also said to stay around a bathroom that day because when it hits, it hits... So I'd u try it let me know if it works for u. Hope I could help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I second this. Laxatives will cramp you and that's not good at all.

Quoting rosebud60002002:

My aunt is a nurse and in having the same problem she told me something she gives her residents at work, it's called the bomb. Drink equal parts of prune juice and miralax and she said it takes effect right away, I wond up not needing to make it but it's worth a try. She also said to stay around a bathroom that day because when it hits, it hits... So I'd u try it let me know if it works for u. Hope I could help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Oh man, I hear ya! On top of my constipation, I had an episiotomy, so I was deathly afraid of ripping my stitches back open. I ended up asking my OB and she suggested store brand stool softener. Store brand because I was breastfeeding, and generic generally uses less potent versions of the same ingredients in name brands. I honestly can't how well it worked. I mean, I did get over it in about a week, but I'm not certain the stool softener had anything to do with it. I'm so sorry, though. I know how uncomfortable it is and I hope you get past it soon. Maybe try some foods high in fiber like whole grain pastas, hummus, or broccoli. Good luck!

zannahdeux
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I had the same problem....sometimes it is the prenatal vitamins if you are still taking them...ask your Ob for help
valeriesmom1112
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Omg at the episiotomy!!! Did they cut you or did you tear naturally?

Quoting perezamberly:

Same here mama! I gave birth June 19 and had a 3rd degree episiotomy to my butt so I kept taking still softeners and they didn't work! Then one day I shit my pants HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valeriesmom1112
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I gave birth January 1st and the two weeks (at least) following were horrible going to the bathroom. I didn't take anything so I definately suggest asking your Dr. And your comment about the taco bell made me laugh :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN