Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Gender Roles

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

Do you (will you) allow your little one to play with, wear, or use, etc. items designed for the opposite gender?

I.E. - a girl who wears a superhero shirt, a boy who plays with Barbies, etc.

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Toddlers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My DD's very much a girly girl and prefers things to be pink or purple, and she loves loves LOVES dolls! BUT, she also has an Avengers t-shirt, a Thor hammer, Spiderman table settings (plate, cup, bowl, spoon & fork). I love that she's into that stuff, not only because I want her to know she doesn't have to only play with/use girly things, but because it's something that my DH can get excited about with her :)

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
He can play with whatever he wants. I don't believe in restricting what kids play with. Shoot. He already wears a necklace. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM
My son loves Beauty stuff lol he smells all the shampoos before picking one out. But at the same time he is all boy with his cars trucks and superheroes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arj767s
by Ashley on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I don't think I would care but I think DH would. He was carrying a doll around by the hair when his cousin was here. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chelsea_rh
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Yes I would totally allow dd to play with toys that are supposed to be for boys. Makes no difference to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sure, why not?  Lynzie is very very girly...she loves purses and shoes and pink stuff but she also loves trucks and getting dirty.

1CrazyCajun
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, I would.

I had a GI Joe doll when I was young. I told my mom that Ken was not the right boyfriend for Barbie. My mom still laughs at that. I also had a dump truck. I was a country kid that loved playing outside.

¸¸Mainstream Moms¸¸ Yep, it's a label. Come join the normal side of parenting. No AP.

Nimil
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM

my son can play with anything he wants! i had issues with family members wanting to make me a super girly girl when i was little and all i wanted to do was play with ninja turtles and climb trees. no reason to force him to play with one certain set of toys.

MandyBear0341
by Mandy on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

DH would mind. Lol. 

TwinsFanMama
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I think it would depend on the situation. If he wanted to be a daddy to a "baby" I'd probably pick him out a boy cabbage patch doll or something like that. I plan to make sure I have a lot of dress up clothes and costumes for him. I will probably get him a kitchen set with food and stuff so he can cook us dinner. And if he wants to bake, he will get an easy bake oven. I don't know this I, or DH, would feel about him dressing up in princess attire tho......lol but he's only 10 months so we've got lots of time to figure that stuff out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement