Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How long were you in labor?

Posted by   + Show Post

?????????/

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
ronvot
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM
My water never broke but I was definitely in labor. I was overdue and DS was over 10 pounds, so I went in for an chemical induction (pitocin IV). From when the pain became almost unbearable it was 14 hours and there was no time between contractions, one would end and the next would start immediately. I held out as long as I could to have a natural birth with no drugs, but I just couldn't bare it any more and I had to have some kind of break. If I could have gotten 5 minutes at least between the pain, I would have held out even longer but it was just constant pain. So after 14 hours, I consented to an epidural (I tried one of the IV meds--federall?--around hour 8 but it did nothing for the pain just made me throw up). After the epi it was blissful calm and I thought I'd get a rest but we went for an emergency c-section with 15 minutes. So much for my all natural birth :D
newmom10142011
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting jobberwocky:

6 days. Yes days not hours. I had an induction that put me in labor but contractions were 15 min apart and not getting closer nor was I dilating further. Dr said well you are in labor just not active labor. We'll send you home and hope you go into active labor on your own.

same thing happened to me except on the last day we attempted another induction and ended up having a c-section. I wasnt thrilled with it but I am so happy to have my precious DD

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Yeah my contractions were like that too, they just kept coming with no breaks inbetween.  I gave in and got an epidural after about 30 hours (16 of which were just unbearable).  The epidural was so great, it gave me the break I needed.

Quoting ronvot:

My water never broke but I was definitely in labor. I was overdue and DS was over 10 pounds, so I went in for an chemical induction (pitocin IV). From when the pain became almost unbearable it was 14 hours and there was no time between contractions, one would end and the next would start immediately. I held out as long as I could to have a natural birth with no drugs, but I just couldn't bare it any more and I had to have some kind of break. If I could have gotten 5 minutes at least between the pain, I would have held out even longer but it was just constant pain. So after 14 hours, I consented to an epidural (I tried one of the IV meds--federall?--around hour 8 but it did nothing for the pain just made me throw up). After the epi it was blissful calm and I thought I'd get a rest but we went for an emergency c-section with 15 minutes. So much for my all natural birth :D

CafeMom Tickers
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I wish I would have had a csection. I almost died after delivering my son. :( if I have more I'm having a csection. We may just adopt instead!

Quoting newmom10142011:

Quoting jobberwocky:

6 days. Yes days not hours. I had an induction that put me in labor but contractions were 15 min apart and not getting closer nor was I dilating further. Dr said well you are in labor just not active labor. We'll send you home and hope you go into active labor on your own.

same thing happened to me except on the last day we attempted another induction and ended up having a c-section. I wasnt thrilled with it but I am so happy to have my precious DD

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonLee16
by Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:26 AM
I thought it was kind of odd that labor would be counted after water broke.

Quoting cabrandy03:

I wouldn't count from when your water breaks because mine never broke, my dr. broke mine right before I started pushing! 

Quoting DragonLee16:

I think 16 hours if you count from the time I woke up that morning. I never really felt like I was starting labor until they told me at 7am. I just woke up at 2 am having to go to the bathroom as usual, but instead of waking up every two hours, it was every 20 minutes. I was just going to stay up and get ready for work. I got bored, called my sister, she told me to call the doctor and my doc told me to go to the hospital to get checked out. I was expecting to be sent home and they said I was 4 cm dilated. At 9 am, my water broke then at 12, I had a 15 minute contraction and was at 9. baby was in distress so I was given something to slow the contractions and that's when the long wait happened. She finally came out at 6pm. According to one of my friends, she said she counts labor after your water breaks. If that's the case, then I was in labor 9 hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney81181
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

36.5 hrs!!

luvnhd14
by Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
so i am not norm i went to the dr . at 9am at 36 wks i was dialated to a 4 but no pain no contractions. so i went hm on bed rest cuz they said i could walk around for wks dialated at a 4. so at about 6pm i called my hubby saying i didnt feel good and asked him to come hm. so he got hm at 640 and he jumped a shower while i called after hrs nurse line they called the EMTS cuz while on phone with them my water broke & my sons head was crowning so i told my hubby to fill the bath i needed to push & no 1 was gonna stop me so while waiting on the EMTS i pushed 2x and my son was born 10min later so total from not feeling good to birth 1.5 hrs lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectAccident
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

40 hours.. Woot!

PerfectAccident
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

That is odd that she said it doesn't count til after your water breaks. Does that mean all that work isn't worth anything?! I was in labor for 40 hours, but if waiting til your water broke was the case I would have only been in labor 1 hour.

Quoting DragonLee16:

I thought it was kind of odd that labor would be counted after water broke.

Quoting cabrandy03:

I wouldn't count from when your water breaks because mine never broke, my dr. broke mine right before I started pushing! 

Quoting DragonLee16:

I think 16 hours if you count from the time I woke up that morning. I never really felt like I was starting labor until they told me at 7am. I just woke up at 2 am having to go to the bathroom as usual, but instead of waking up every two hours, it was every 20 minutes. I was just going to stay up and get ready for work. I got bored, called my sister, she told me to call the doctor and my doc told me to go to the hospital to get checked out. I was expecting to be sent home and they said I was 4 cm dilated. At 9 am, my water broke then at 12, I had a 15 minute contraction and was at 9. baby was in distress so I was given something to slow the contractions and that's when the long wait happened. She finally came out at 6pm. According to one of my friends, she said she counts labor after your water breaks. If that's the case, then I was in labor 9 hours.

saral2790
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM

39 hours from the 1st contraction, unmedicated

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN