Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Antibiotics May Be the Reason Your Kid is Fat

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 102 Total Views

Antibiotics May Be the Reason Your Kid Is Fat

Posted by Adriana Velez
on August 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

thermometerWell super, here's one more thing for us parents to worry about: Two new studies have linked antibiotics with obesity. Not just one, random "huh?!?" study we can dismiss -- but two. What's up? Don't we kind of ... NEED antibiotics for sick kids? And what could the two possibly have in common?

This is another one of those maddening dilemmas parents face. What are you supposed to when your child becomes seriously ill and the doctor recommends antibiotics? Do the same thing you'd do otherwise: This is no reason to swear off antibiotics for your kids. We just don't know enough right now.

In one study, young mice given moderate doses of antibiotics became more obese. Scientists found more of bacteria linked with obesity in the stomachs of the mice. So somehow there's a connection between antibiotics and the kinds of bacteria that show up in obese mice.

Notice I'm being careful NOT to say "bacteria that causes obesity" or that "the antibiotics cause that bacteria to grow." We really don't know if that's what happens. It's just that all the usual suspects seem to show up together consistently, and that makes scientists want to find out more.

In the second study researchers found that kids who'd been given antibiotics within the first six months of life were more likely to be obese. And they also found that kids who were treated with antibiotics during the toddler years were slightly more likely to be obese. So that's worrisome for parents with seriously ill babies!

A lot of parents try to avoid treating their kids with antibiotics anyway -- for loads of reasons. And it's not always a cut-and-dried case. Sometimes more natural remedies will work for milder infections. I think we sometimes do go overboard with the antibiotics and we definitely have too much of the stuff in our meat and dairy!

But even the crunchiest parents I know have used antibiotics for their children at some point. I mean, given the choice between avoiding possible weight issues in the future and saving a life right now, I think we know the answer.

How do you feel about treating your kids with antibiotics?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Toddlers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I personally am not a fan of antibiotics. Unless your body just absolutely cannot get rid of something, I try to just let it run it's course - makes my immune system stronger! I don't know that I necessarily buy into the whole "antibiotics make you fat" deal, but one thing I will say is that my cousin's son is 2 years younger than my daughter and weighs just as much as she does. Now, she's super skinny, in fact, at 3.5 years old, a pair of size 18m pants can still fit around her waist. But a 30 pound 18 month old seems a bit extreme to me, and he's been in and out of the hospital with various antibiotics since he turned 6 months. So I don't know, maybe there is some merit to this study.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I wonder what other similarities are found in the study ? Like where these kids also formula fed given food before six months are their families also over weight ? I don't really see antibiotics as a link you know.

That being said we only use antibiotics when really really needed. We normally let things run its course in this house. I also dont use hand sanitizer unless needed like out at the fair and we had to use the port a potty lol. We have killed to many germs that many can't even handle the the good for you germs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with you! And we don't use hand sanitizer in our home. I admit I keep a travel size bottle in my purse for just in case situations, but I don't even use that very often. It seems our culture is so afraid of germs these days that we're becoming weak!

Quoting KelliansMom:

I wonder what other similarities are found in the study ? Like where these kids also formula fed given food before six months are their families also over weight ? I don't really see antibiotics as a link you know.

That being said we only use antibiotics when really really needed. We normally let things run its course in this house. I also dont use hand sanitizer unless needed like out at the fair and we had to use the port a potty lol. We have killed to many germs that many can't even handle the the good for you germs

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I always wait to see if my body (or dd's body if she's the one whose sick) will fight it off on it's own and I ALWAYS try natural remedies first.  Only if those things don't work will I turn to antibiotics.  Dd is almost 2 and hasn't needed any yet  :)

Ludvik_Smith
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't give antibiotics unless prescribed by a doctor and my DD's pedi knows well enough not to over-prescribe antibiotics; I think DD has had to take them on 2 separate ocassions, both times ear infections.

As for antiobiotics being linked to obesity, I choose to shrug off this study. I don't believe that there will ever be one cause or one cure to obesity--it is a combination of many factors that cause obesity and most times many things need to be done to cure it in a person. 

BoofersGurl17
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I am not a fan of antibiotics either. I am the type of person who doesn't even like to take tylenol unless I absolutely have too lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN