Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Ben Affleck Treats 3-year-old Daughter Like She's a Genius

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 255 Total Views

Ben Affleck Treats 3-Year-Old Daughter Like She's a Genius

Posted by Kiri Blakeley
on November 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Ben AffleckBen Affleck was recently photographed with his cutie patootie daughter, Seraphina, and it's not her outfit nor her dimples that are drawing attention. It's her reading material! Ben was carrying Seraphina out of a breakfast joint in L.A. and in his hands he held a book. But not a SpongeBob or Dora or even Dr. Seuss book. Nope, it was a Dickens book! Yeeesssss, you know, Dickens, right? I hope. Charles Dickens, my friends. Okay, it was a children's illustrated version of a bunch of Dickens classics. But, get this, the book is recommended reading material for children ages 9 to 12. And Seraphina is 3! Woah. Could Seraphina be a genius?

Okay, so maybe Seraphina wasn't exactly reading the book -- more like poppa was reading it to her. But she must be interested in it, because what dad brings a book to breakfast that the kid hates? That'd be torture! You know how it is with kids and books -- they get addicted to one and want to hear it over and over. And over.

My friends, I have some news for you. Seraphina's book is at a higher reading comprehension level than Fifty Shades of Grey. For reals.

Family lore has it that I was talking at 9 months old and reading shortly thereafter. Probably an exaggeration. Just a lil. But I was placed in a "gifted" reading course in second grade. While other kids were reading whatever it was they were reading, I was given adult magazines. Not those kind, you sickos. Reader's Digest and Newsweek. No doubt much of this ease with reading was a proclivity I was born with, but I also remember getting read to a lot by the adults in my family. In fact, lots of times, my mother just read me whatever she was reading. That meant I heard a lot of mystery and horror paperbacks. Not exactly Dickens, but whatevs.

Could Ben be pushing his daughter, reading books to her beyond her comprehension level? Well, so what. Maybe he wants his kid to excel in school. And if she's not pitching a fit about it or falling asleep over her eggs while listening to it, then he's setting her up to succeed in life. Good on ya, Ben!

What do your kids read?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, I only posted this because it's Ben Affleck. My #1 celebrity crush :)

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

But in all seriousness, I see nothing wrong with what he's doing. Like the blogger said, as long as she's showing an interest, why not?!

I don't exactly read books like that to my daughter, but now that we're homeschooling, I get "science-y" books for her from the library and many of them are above her age (usually only by 2 years, not 6 like Ben) and just read them to her multiple times. She loves it and really retains the information!

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM
My son loves the magic school bus books :) and he has a volcano book , both meant for Elementry age but he loves them non the less. I have always just followed Kells lead in what he was wanting to read and learn he does better that way well learning from me anyways. :)

Quoting MomToovey:

But in all seriousness, I see nothing wrong with what he's doing. Like the blogger said, as long as she's showing an interest, why not?!

I don't exactly read books like that to my daughter, but now that we're homeschooling, I get "science-y" books for her from the library and many of them are above her age (usually only by 2 years, not 6 like Ben) and just read them to her multiple times. She loves it and really retains the information!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I completely forgot about Magic School Bus! I think she'd love those! I agree, I let her lead. I'd never force her into a book she just flat out doesn't want to read

Quoting KelliansMom:

My son loves the magic school bus books :) and he has a volcano book , both meant for Elementry age but he loves them non the less. I have always just followed Kells lead in what he was wanting to read and learn he does better that way well learning from me anyways. :)

Quoting MomToovey:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I used to read them to my siblings and we watch the show on Fridays at school in like 3rd grade (or reading rainbow).

Quoting MomToovey:

I completely forgot about Magic School Bus! I think she'd love those! I agree, I let her lead. I'd never force her into a book she just flat out doesn't want to read

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I used to watch it every morning before school. I don't know that I ever had any of the books, but we did at school and I know I've read a few. And oh man, I miss Reading Rainbow!

Quoting KelliansMom:

I used to read them to my siblings and we watch the show on Fridays at school in like 3rd grade (or reading rainbow).

Quoting MomToovey:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Me too :)
Remember the scholastic book fairs? I lived those too. My sons preschool had one this year brought back so many memories

Quoting MomToovey:

I used to watch it every morning before school. I don't know that I ever had any of the books, but we did at school and I know I've read a few. And oh man, I miss Reading Rainbow!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Wow! I probably haven't been to one since about 4th grade! Those were awesome!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Me too :)
Remember the scholastic book fairs? I lived those too. My sons preschool had one this year brought back so many memories

Quoting MomToovey:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting MomToovey:

Ludvik_Smith
by Jessica on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I also don't see anything wrong with reading whatever kind of book to your child...doesn't mean your child is a genius or that you're pretending she is. It's just something that entertains both you and your child. No big deal. These celebrity-watchers have to make a big deal out of everything.

I have not read my daughter Dickens yet :) Mostly just age-appropriate stuff. But I have read a little bit of Raggedy Ann and Andy to her...the old ones with chapters and few pictures. But she gets bored with just my reading after a while, she likes to see pictures and interact with the book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement