Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with birth control !!!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 308 Total Views
Depo Shot.?? I've tried a few diff kinds of birth control but I never thought to take the shot. I've heard only a couple things about it one being less to no periods and it makes one gain weight. I was just wanting to hear your experience, opinions, and advise about the shot. I didn't want bc because of the hormones but if I do decide I'd want one with less hormones and my doc recommend the shot and iud and I don't want the iud so your responses are needed thanks.!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I personally couldn't get the shot way to much hormones for me. What about he one that goes in your arm? Haven't heard much complaint about that one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

If your breastfeeding the shot is a bad idea, it'll dry up your milk.  And even if your not nursing, I havn't heard very many good things about the shot.  I have a few friends who got pregnant on the shot and it tends to make people gain more weight then other birth control methods.

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Uyeah I just did a lil research and I read some if the side effects and I'm not digging them I'm sticking to my original plan no bc I will take unless its in the form of a condom. Not only are the hormones bad for you but they can be long lasting as well as develop in your later years so although I am not looking into having any more kids I will not be taking any bc. But thank you for your stories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I pretty much refuse to take birth control, the hormones are awful for your body.  I just use natural family planning and condoms, and it's worked great for us so far.  I havn't been on birth control in 5 years and we've only had one planned pregnancy, so I think it's a pretty effective method.  Just do some research on how to track ovulation, it's pretty easy to avoid pregnancy if your careful.

Quoting redrose_12:

Uyeah I just did a lil research and I read some if the side effects and I'm not digging them I'm sticking to my original plan no bc I will take unless its in the form of a condom. Not only are the hormones bad for you but they can be long lasting as well as develop in your later years so although I am not looking into having any more kids I will not be taking any bc. But thank you for your stories.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I personally have never tried it, I have friends who have and swear by it, and friends who have and hated it. In my case, I find the horror stories to outweigh the good ones :) Good luck

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Well I never knew how to track my ovulation because if the reason that my af was very irregular so I couldn't even keep track of that. I didn't even think it was possible for me to get pregnant because my periods were so irregular but I had not been on bc for years before pregnancy also and I just used precaution during sex. I also think that taking bc is horrible for my body because of the hormones it releases, they don't need to be there that is why I stopped taking it. I first started taking it because I wanted to regulate but that did not work one bit. But I've never really went into detail of te side effects but my goodness there are so many potential harm one does to your body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I have the non-hormonal IUD called ParaGuard & I love it. I can't take hormones right now because I'm breastfeeding so this was pretty much my only option. The hormones in bc won't hurt the baby while breastfeeding but they can affect your supply & I didnt want to take any chances. The IUD I have is also good for 10 years unless you have it removed early. I've never done depo, in the past I always took regular birth-control pills & never had any problems.

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM
That is one that I def won't do to have a foregin object in my body, not for me. And I'm more worried of what the bc side effects can do to me in the present or the future. I thought I'd give the bc another thought but nevermind it is too complicated to express my feelings with bc and don't want to deal with what bc has to offer besides not getting pregnant

Quoting christineT79:

I have the non-hormonal IUD called ParaGuard & I love it. I can't take hormones right now because I'm breastfeeding so this was pretty much my only option. The hormones in bc won't hurt the baby while breastfeeding but they can affect your supply & I didnt want to take any chances. The IUD I have is also good for 10 years unless you have it removed early. I've never done depo, in the past I always took regular birth-control pills & never had any problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blapier
by Brenda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I've been on the depo for over a year. No periods, but I did gain a little weight. It doesn't work for some people. I hope you find a method that works for you mama! :)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
sbreece
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I used to get the shot. I liked it but I got the mirena after I had my daughter. So far I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)