Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

??? Stork Bites???

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

I had asked a while ago about my dd having a big red mark on the back of her head, it turned out to be a "stork bite" well at the time it was just red with a little softness well now I noticed that the mark is about the same size but it is getting bigger in the sense of its now where you can see it and she has a head full of hair dark brown hair at that. I read that it is normal for her to have it and will go away in time but it also said sometimes it can be something more. I am a first time mom and I must admit that I freak at small things but this thing is big and you can tell there is something there, it feels as if there was fluid in it, I know that there are two soft spots in the head and i thought that was the other one but now that it is sticking out I am not sure of this. I will call the pedi in the am but I just want to know if any of you moms had experienced this???? It is on the lower portion of her head but not her neck and it is big in size both roundness and it coming out. I really hope this is normal...

sad

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I'm not sure.  If it's something your worried about there's definitely no harm in calling her pedi and asking what they think.

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Im just worried because Im her mom and I dont want to see her hurt, although it does not seem like it hurts her, but who knows. I just hope she is alright and there is nothing serious wrong.

Quoting cabrandy03:

I'm not sure.  If it's something your worried about there's definitely no harm in calling her pedi and asking what they think.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I totally understand.  I'm the same way with dd, especially when she was a newborn, it's easy to get freaked out about things like that.  I think most likely it's just a birth mark, but maybe at her next well baby appointment show it to the dr.  It's better to be safe then sorry.

Quoting redrose_12:

Im just worried because Im her mom and I dont want to see her hurt, although it does not seem like it hurts her, but who knows. I just hope she is alright and there is nothing serious wrong.

Quoting cabrandy03:

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM

yes I am always checking her out but it got bigger meaning actually showing so I am nervous and hope it is nothing serious and yes I am going to call the doctor in the am for sure because her next appointment is not until the 15th. so yes I already had a long wait when they did testing when I was pregnant. goodness motherhood has its scary moments and stressful ones too.

Quoting cabrandy03:

I totally understand.  I'm the same way with dd, especially when she was a newborn, it's easy to get freaked out about things like that.  I think most likely it's just a birth mark, but maybe at her next well baby appointment show it to the dr.  It's better to be safe then sorry.

Quoting redrose_12:

Quoting cabrandy03:

christineT79
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My 5 months old baby girl also has a stork bite. It's on the back of her head, it's light pink. I havent noticed if it's getting bigger but I would imagine it would kind of get bigger as their heads are growing. Def have your pedi look at it when you go in for her next check up & have them measure it that way everytime you go they can see if it's getting bigger. Good luck hun.

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Thank you and yes she has an appointment tomorrow I hope it goes well

Quoting christineT79:

My 5 months old baby girl also has a stork bite. It's on the back of her head, it's light pink. I havent noticed if it's getting bigger but I would imagine it would kind of get bigger as their heads are growing. Def have your pedi look at it when you go in for her next check up & have them measure it that way everytime you go they can see if it's getting bigger. Good luck hun.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Sounds like it may be a hemotomia (sp). A few of my friends kids have had them. It started out flat and red and the. Grew bigger and looked more like a big blood blister. They don't hurt and eventually go away on their own.

Definitely check with your ped though I you are worried! That's what they are there for!
redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Yes I was reading up on it and it does look like it but it also could be something else. But I have an appointment tomorrow morning

Quoting jobberwocky:

Sounds like it may be a hemotomia (sp). A few of my friends kids have had them. It started out flat and red and the. Grew bigger and looked more like a big blood blister. They don't hurt and eventually go away on their own.

Definitely check with your ped though I you are worried! That's what they are there for!
arj767s
by Ashley on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Let us know how it goes. I'm sure everything is fine, but it never hurts to ask!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ronvot
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I would take your DD to the doctor, that doesn't sound right to me. My DS had stork bites. It was noticeable from day one. It was a smallish area on the back of the neck with flat, red markings like a birth mark. It would get lighter or darker red at times but it was always flat and it did not grow in size. Also it did last for years which surprised me as I expected it to be gone within months, but I just checked him and it's gone--he's almost 3yo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement