Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

iron in baby

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 148 Total Views

Iron animia runs big in all the girls and women in my family.  I am trying to let or hope it doesn't happen to my babygirl.  She will be 11 months in a few day and I thought she was getting enough iron and formula, but my sister and her friend had told me they think my DD isn't getting enough.  My daughter gets a multi-vitamin (enfamil poly vi sol) which has 10mg (about 67% DV) of iron in it for infants.  My baby also gets 18 oz worth of formula though out the day.  She gets a mix of infant and toddler formulas.  Infant formula has 1.8mg of iron per 5 oz of formula and ther toddler formula has 2mg per 5 oz.  DD gets about 9 oz of the infant formula and 9 oz of toddler formula.  Plus she gets spoon feed too.  

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

we never did the suplements for my son and skip the formulas with extra iron .. to much and he wouldnt poop for days/weeks and at his doctors visits they check for animia and we are all good. 

I think your daughter should be good with all that she is getting in her diet. You can ask your doctor to run a test its just a finger prick to test for it

Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I agree with the above poster...but to add that infants under the age of 1 should be getting at least 24 ozs of Bm/formula per day. That should be their main nutrition until 1 yrs of age.

trinitysmama33
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

her doctor told me that as long as she get at least 4 4oz a bottles a day of formula she'll be fine( I'll him this past afternoon.)  Which if you add it up, it would be 2 8 oz bottles or 16 oz a day.  But I have read online that a baby 10-12 months should get 17-21 oz a day.  My DD is 27.4 lbs so I guess if you think about it, it does make sience.  (sorry bout my bad spelling) 

Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Quoting trinitysmama33:

her doctor told me that as long as she get at least 4 4oz a bottles a day of formula she'll be fine( I'll him this past afternoon.)  Which if you add it up, it would be 2 8 oz bottles or 16 oz a day.  But I have read online that a baby 10-12 months should get 17-21 oz a day.  My DD is 27.4 lbs so I guess if you think about it, it does make sience.  (sorry bout my bad spelling) 

Not to disrespect your dr, but peds are only required to have 1 hr of nutrition for their whole training! They are there to help with medical issues- that's what they're mainly trained for. It's not about how much a baby weighs, it's about is she getting the proper nutrition (not saying your LO isn't). But solids before a yr, should only be for exploration & shouldn't replace the BM/formula.
trinitysmama33
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Well I changed around some of her eating schedule.  Depending on how hungry she is and how much she wants.  I was offering her a 6 oz bottle and she would take in 4-6 oz in the am, 4-6 oz bottle after her afternoon nap, and 7-9 oz bottle before bed.  Spoon feeding baby cereal, baby foods, and some "table food" in between like 3-4 times a day.  Now I offer her a 7 oz bottle in the am and afternoon, she has been taking 6-7 oz of it, and at bed time I give her a 8 oz bottle and she eats all 8 oz of it.  And she gets spoon feed between 1-3 times a day, I started giving her more "table" foods.  

christineT79
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I personally wouldnt worry about the iron intake as long as she isnt anemic. Too much iron can cause problems too if it's not needed. You can always get her checked for anemia. Have her pedi check her blood before giving her lots of extra iron.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH and I both have iron deficiencies, so we had her on the Poly Vi Sol with iron as well. We also made sure she was eating enough iron rich foods like beans and raisins. Also, Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron, so we make sure she gets plenty of citrus. We really didn't know anything about how much iron she was getting until she had her bloodwork done at 1 year. It actually came out a little low, but we just reduced the amount of milk she was drinking in a day and that did the trick.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement