Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

play yard vs crib

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 170 Total Views

Poll

Question: is a crib or play yard best for a LO??

Options:

crib

play yard

other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

my first little one is due in march and i have just about everythin i need!! im so excited!!! made up the registrys and all that and then i realized somethin: i dont know if im gonna get a play yard with a bassinet or just get a crib. and that kinda affects the registry for sheets, blankets, bumpers, etc. and im a little strapped for cash..

so i wanna ask, which was best for you??

play yard pros: inexpensive, easily moveable, dont have to get a lot of things for it

cons- weight limit, not so comfy lookin, easily outgrown

crib pros: can have for a long time, comfy, can be a toddler bed, looks good

cons- expensive, lots of beddin material, pretty stationary

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM
We only had a crib. Didn't take a lot of bedding. We had maybe five sheets for it no bumper till he was much older. And he spent many nights in bed with us so his sheets didn't need to be washed that often.

My parents and in laws did have pack and plays that we used when we traveled but my son out grew them quick
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM
We have both. My son hates the play yard. I used a cosleeper bassinet for the first 6 months before he moved to his crib.

You don't need any more then a sheet for the crib. No need for the fancy crib bedding sets.
christineT79
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I got a co-sleeper basinette. I found it at Walmart for 100.00 I used it for about 4 months. Now that my baby has out-grown it I turned her crib into a co-sleeper. I took off one side of the crib & pushed it up against my bed & made her mattress the same level as my mattress. I didnt know that you could do that. Now that I have it set up I wish I did that from the very begining & I would have never bought the co-sleeper basinette. I have a hand me down play yard or Pack n Play. I like the Pack n Play because you can use it as a basinette in the begining, for the first few months next to your bed & then use it later for your living room for baby to sit up in & play with toys while you cook dinner etc. Then you can also travel with it. Otherwise you can just get away with a regular crib & set it up like a co-sleeper for the first few months so baby is right next to you. Check out consignment shops for a used crib & then you can just buy a new mattress.

AleaKat
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
We had both
Play pen for travel and for naps
Crib for night time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM

We had both but to be completley honest we rarely used either one.  Dd ended up being a very high needs baby and was only comfortable next to me so we ended up bedsharring until dd was old enough for a toddler bed. 

emilyelephant
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

We have both.  She has slept in her crib maybe 2 hours total.  I like the play yard because we are transitioning from her sleeping in my bed, and having something so portable is really helping.  My friend's son still uses his play yard when she needs to step out of the room, he's one, but he won't sleep in it.  He has an established sleep place (crib) and play place (play yard).  So I think the play yard would be good to get first, and then you can get a crib later if you need to. 

I think if we had gotten the play yard right off the bat instead of when she was 3 months, we never would have started cosleeping.  I got a bassinet but it was too high and when we brought her home I couldn't see her when she was in it and I was in bed and it was scary. & of course I didn't want to put her in her room alone for the same reason. I can see her through the play yard mesh though :)

_coldcoffee_
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

all good points :)

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I put other because we have both. When DS was first born we used the play yard for diaper changes and when he was 3 months we started using it for sleeping. He also used the crib until we had to take it down when we moved. He's 7 months now and only sleeps in the crib unless we travel then we take the play yard.
MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We only had a crib and we loved it. It required almost no bedding at all. We had 1 fitted crib sheet and that's it. I was able to wash & dry it during the day and get it back on the mattress before she went to bed that night, so there wasn't much need for an extra. She didn't leak through her diapers almost at all, so we only washed it about once a week.

We didn't do much traveling, so having the mobility wasn't important to us. She did sleep in one when we went to visit my parents once (they bought it) and it was fine for the few days we were there, but she didn't sleep all that well in it, so I'm glad she didn't have to spend too much time in it.

ronvot
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I had both and then ended up being a cosleeper/bed sharer. The pack n play was most useful when DS was younger for playing and taking short naps but I never felt it was comfortable enough for extended sleep. The pack n play was put away a long time ago (sometime before 2 yo) and now the crib is useful as a toddler bed for naps and will convert to a full sized bed when needed so that's nice. You do not need a lot of expensive bedding for either. I got a whole crib set that I never used because it laid funny and was cute but not cuddly. One bottom sheet and a $5 blanket that I think I got at Walgreens is all I need.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN