Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Rice cereal & Baby food

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

My daughter just turned 4 months old this week, and i basically formula feed her because I tried the breastfeeding and it did'nt work out so well so we just decided to stick with the formula. I took her to the doctor earlier in the week for her 4 month check up and shots :( But anyways I was asking her doctor about feeding her cereal she told me that it's ok to put the cereal in the bottle mixed with the formula. I have put cereal in her bottle a few times but I have also introduced her to alittle bit of baby food as well and she seems to like the baby food and she does'nt have trouble eating it or nothing she actually enjoys it and it seems like she gets fuller than when i just give her a bottle. Sometimes ill give her alittle bit of a bottle first  then alittle bit of baby food after and sometimes vice versa. But I was just curious to know has anyone else given their baby small amounts of baby food along with the formula at 4 months old. Also she shows interest in the things that I'm eating sometimes and when I feed her the baby food she tries to grab the spoon  She seems like she is trying to teach her self already lol.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Baby food is just play and learning before a year of age. My son didn't really like rice cereal so we stop giving it to him after a month. I made most of his food to. With our next child we are going to do baby led weaning :) and just skip the cereal (empty calories) and the purreed food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM
We started cereal at 4 months because of acid reflux. Formula should be the number 1 source of nutrition until 1 yr old.

We started baby foods at 5 months but only small jar over the course of the day. By 7 months he was eating table foods (soft fruits and veggies).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of moms's are skipping the cerial these days for a few reasons. Number one: the cerial has no nutritional value to it, it's just a filler. Babies are better off getting filled up on somthing nutritious like breastmilk or formula. Adding cerial to a bottle is also a choking hazard. If your gonna feed it it's better to spoon feed. Number two: Babies don't have the proper enzymes in the gut to digest any grains until 1 year of age so the cerial is not only not nutritous it's hard to digest. The american academy of pediatrics suggests no solids or puree's (baby food) until 6 months of age. I'm personally skipping cerial & puree's & doing baby led solids. You can wait until baby is ready for small pieces of soft solid foods, usually between 6 & 8 months of age. Check out Wholesome babyfood.com for more info.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I'm not sure what has already been said at this point (I didn't look through the other comments) so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

I don't know why pediatricians are still saying it's ok to give solids at 4 months. Their digestive tracts are not fully developed yet, and anything other than breastmilk or formula at this point can cause problems in the future.

That being said, we did try rice cereal shortly after DD turned 4 months but she didn't care for it and I was still really attached to breastfeeding so we pretty much quit until 6 months. Tried rice cereal again and she still didn't like it. Then we tried oatmeal and that was a success. I didn't know at the time, but rice cereal has no nutritional value whatsoever, so I'm actually glad it didn't go over well.

Also, no matter what, breastmilk or formula should be the #1 source of nutrition until baby's first birthday. So when you are ready to start introducing solids, make sure she gets her bottle of formula first, fills up, and then can experiment with foods after. It's pretty much just play at this point because it's 100% unnecessary. It will give her a chance to get used to eating at a table, being spoon-fed, etc. which she's going to need to learn at some point anyway, but other than teaching her those skills, anything that isn't breastmilk or formula isn't necessary until after her first birthday.

risa_xc
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Our ped gave us the ok to start cereal at 4 months as well. He also said we could mix it with purees if he didnt like it or stop all together. We stoped with cereal and started feeding him purees at 5 months. Personally I feel that your ped knows what is best for your child and if he gave you the ok then go ahead. Our ped said always give a bottle first.

flawskii
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
My pedi said it was okay to give DD cereal at 4 months. I tried giving it to her in a bowl but she didn't like it so I mixed it with her bottle and she loved it. 5 months I started solids and she loves those too. What I do is give her a 6oz bottle with cereal when she wakes up around 8:30am then by 10:30-11am shes sleep and when she wakes up around 12:30pm I prep her her lunch which is a 4oz bottle and fruits (mangos, bananas, apples, pears) then by 2:30-3pm she's ready for another nap after that I give her between 8-10oz of milk from the time she wakes up from her nap which is around 4:30-5pm until I feed her dinner at about 8pm then I do another milk bottle with cereal around 8:30-9pm. I give her a bath feed her that bottle and she's down for the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arj767s
by Ashley on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM
We didn't start food until 6 months. You always do the bottle first since the formula is where the nutrition is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but my mom started me on cereal too early and I have digestive issues and a gluten sensitivity. I attribute that to being fed cereal too early. Just food for thought. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

We didn't offer any solids at all until 6 months.  My daughter's pediatrician told us it's really not a good idea to start solids any earlier then that.  Solids too early can cause serrious allergies and digestive problems both now and later in your childs life.  We didn't do rice cereal at all because it's nutrionally worthless and tastes really horrible.

CmC1307
by Christine on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM
We did plain rice cereal or oatmeal mixed with formula from 4 to 5 months then started mixing in homemade fruits and veggies
CafeMom Tickers
erikadi
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Maybe mix the formula into the baby food. Also try and mash up what you are eating and feed it to her because it might be easier to feed that stuff to her later on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN