Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't wanna go back

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

(in other groups)

Ok so my son is almost 6 weeks old and I love him to bits. a few weeks ago I started volunteering again at an elementary school after school with deaf kids. I love being with the kids but I always miss my son while im gone and I always almost dread going cause I dont want to leave him. Now though my mom is pushing me to go back to work which its true I need to go back to earn the money me and my son need but im really torn. I know I need to go back but I dont feel ready and I really dont want to be away from him more. Idk what to do.

P.S. My mom watches him while I volunteer and will when I go back to work. She is a SAHM

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arj767s
by Ashley on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM
It's hard and it's a big decision. If you need it for financial reasons, then you gotta do what you gotta do. If you don't need it, you could try to go back and see how it goes. Being a working mom is the hardest thing I have to do. It is REALLY hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

being my sons only income, and my own, for now yea I really need to

Quoting arj767s:

It's hard and it's a big decision. If you need it for financial reasons, then you gotta do what you gotta do. If you don't need it, you could try to go back and see how it goes. Being a working mom is the hardest thing I have to do. It is REALLY hard.

arj767s
by Ashley on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I'm sorry. People say it gets easier and I suppose eventually it gets easIER, but it's never easy. It's really hard. He will know its what you have to do and respect you for it...but it sucks.

Quoting Kaylahk:

being my sons only income, and my own, for now yea I really need to

Quoting arj767s:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arj767s
by Ashley on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Sorry for the brutal honesty, but I wish people didn't sugar coat it for me. It would've been nice to know what to expect. :(

That being said, he's 19 months old and we have a goodbye routine in the morning. He gets really excited when he sees me in the evening. The routine helps but I think about him all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Thank you for the honesty and I really wish it got easier but I hate how when I volunteer I miss like 5 hours a week of his life and with work ill miss so much more.

Quoting arj767s:

Sorry for the brutal honesty, but I wish people didn't sugar coat it for me. It would've been nice to know what to expect. :(

That being said, he's 19 months old and we have a goodbye routine in the morning. He gets really excited when he sees me in the evening. The routine helps but I think about him all day.

arj767s
by Ashley on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I was worried about missing a lot, but I didn't. You see all of the development, milestones, joy that comes with it all. What doesn't go away is missing him every minute. But as far as missing milestones and "time", that part does get easier. They have more fun than we do when we're away. And they always seem to save their "firsts" for us!

Quoting Kaylahk:

Thank you for the honesty and I really wish it got easier but I hate how when I volunteer I miss like 5 hours a week of his life and with work ill miss so much more.

Quoting arj767s:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Ok good. I almost missed a milestone and I was there. I was at church and my friend was walking him in the foyer and I randomly went to check on them and as soon as I got there he like smiled but it was a laughing smile and he sort of laughed, which being a month isn't much but its adorable. I don't want to miss any of that

Quoting arj767s:

I was worried about missing a lot, but I didn't. You see all of the development, milestones, joy that comes with it all. What doesn't go away is missing him every minute. But as far as missing milestones and "time", that part does get easier. They have more fun than we do when we're away. And they always seem to save their "firsts" for us!

Quoting Kaylahk:

Quoting arj767s:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shoot4thestars
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I have to go back today.  My son was 6 weeks this past Friday. It sucks!! I didn't want to go back until March, but we just got news that my husband is getting laid off at the end of the month, so it's probably a good idea I go back now. :/  It's definitely going to be hard.  I only have to work 4 hours in the evenings on the weekdays until my husband is laid off, but I haven't been away from him for more than an hour or so since he was born.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM

It is a tough decision, but a very important one. Remember to put baby first. If you're going back to work decides whether or not there will be food on the table, then you know what you need to do. And you could always go back part time just to see how things go. There are millions of working mommas out there who make it work for their families. You can do it too if it turns out it's the right decision.

Good luck!

Ludvik_Smith
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

That feeling is totally normal. My daughter is 2.5 years old and I still hate being away from her! I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable being away from her, even when she's 30 years old :)

But it does get better--you just gotta do what you gotta do--and never take every second you have with your baby for granted--enjoy every single moment--when you think about it, that's really all any of us can do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)