Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 month old and sleeping???

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 293 Total Views
My 2.5 month old son is still up 2-3 times a night right now and a lot of my friends who have kids close to his age are saying that their surprised cuz their kids are sleeping through the night now :( he normally gets to bed between 7-8. Is up between 10-11 and gets up again around 2, 4 and it fully awake by 5-6. Some nights he'll sleep 4-5 hours at a time but that's usually after a long or rough day of doing things. He takes at least 1 good 2 hour nap during the day, sometimes 2, and then will take mini power naps on an off. We've tried rice cereal but discovered that that's not really doing much. Bath times are every couple days but he doesn't seem to tire out much from it unless he gets upset during the bath. But overall, I guess I'm asking... Is this normal? Could he be sleeping longer? How can I get him to start sleeping longer at night? He's a big baby for his age. He's 14.9 lbs. he doesn't really eat a full bottle when he eats and we offer him 5 oz every time. But he'll either eat it all, or only eat 2-4 oz at a time. I'd really like some advise and help here plzz. Thx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Every baby is different. My son wasn't sleeping through the night at that age. He didn't start doing that till after six months of age. And even now at four we still have a few nights we wakes up in the middle of the night.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Sounds like your baby is pretty normal to me. Some mommas get lucky and have babies sleep though the night early on. Sleeping though the night is considered sleeping 5 or more hours without waking.

My son is 15 months and didn't start sleeping more then 5 hrs until he was almost 14 months. At 2.5 months he was still up at least every 2 hours if not more often.
blapier
by Brenda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM
My dd who will be 2 on Monday still gets up at least 3-4 nights a week she'll get up from 1 till like 5. He'll sleep during the night, just when he is ready:)
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Sleeping through the night is a milestone that different babies hit at different ages.  I can honestly tell you though that most babies aren't sleeping through the night by 2 or 3 months old.  My 2 year old is just now starting to sleep most of the way though the night, and some nights she still wakes several times.  At 2.5 months old it is actually healthy for babies to wake frequently.  Many babies that age still need the extra calories they get from night feedings.  Waking frequently through out the night is also a babies natural defense against SIDS.  Rice cereal isn't going to help and might even make it worse since his stomach isn't ready to digest solid foods yet it's more likely to give him a stomach ache then help him sleep.  I encourage you to do some research on the dangers of feeding babies solids too early.  Feeding solids before 6 months can cause all sorts of health problems both now and later on i your child's life.  Many of the conditions caused by introducing solids too early don't show up until adulthood. 

Here's a link to a website that has some great information about when babies should be sleeping through the night:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally normal. My baby just started sleeping throught the night & she is 6 months old. Sleeping through the night is sleeping for 5 hours not 8 or 10 hours. All babies are different & they learn to sleep on their own, it's not somthing you can teach them especially at 2 months old. Don't worry about what everyone else's babies are doing. Your baby is an individual. Don't bother with the rice cerial because they can't digest it anyway. It's just a filler & has no nutritional value to it. Good luck momma, don't worry sleep will come.

AmyA1071
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Every baby is different my little man did not sleep through the night until he was 10.5 months and he started cereal at 4 months because he was breast fed and had reflux they were using the cereal to help keep the milk from refluxing on him and by sleeping through the night I mean put him down at say 7 get up 9/10pm to eat then sleep till 6:30a/7a the next day -- technically sleeping 6 straight hours is sleeping through the night so if your little one sleeps 8p to 2am that is "through the night" -- I think not!!!!  

Hanging in there the smaller the meal the more they will eat!  It will change soon enough 

ronvot
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
That sounds normal to me. My son at that age would wake up some time around 3 and again around 6, but if I kept the lighting low and the distractions to a minimum I could get away with a feeding and then we'd go back to sleep til about 9 am. But that made me a lucky mama, my friends children were much earlier risers.
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I agree, every baby is different. And most are not sleeping through the night this early. Your friends all just got lucky I guess. It is perfectly normal and healthy for babies all the way up to 1 year to still wake up 2-3 times a night. And even after 1 year, it's still normal to wake, it's just that by then, they've typically taught themselves how to get back to sleep on their own.

Think of it this way, throughout the day - a 24 hour period - a baby his age will typically spend about 5-6 hours awake. That means the rest of the time they're sleeping, but it's never all at once. And up to 1 hour more or less that 5-6 hours awake is still normal and healthy.

As far as the eating goes, pay attention to 2 things - how many dirty diapers he has, and how much weight he's gaining. I think about 8 diapers a day is still normal at 2.5 months, and he should still be gaining about 1 ounce a day. Watching those will help you determine whether he is getting the right amount of food each day.

emilyelephant
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

My 6 month old still wakes up 2-3 times. Every baby is different, I have a friend who's son slept through the night since a month old. Some of us just don't get that lucky.

Kazmira222
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Oh he's definitely awake more than 5-6 hours a day lol and it seems he is gaining a pound a week! He's almost 15 lbs now o_o lol
Thx for the advice tho :)

Quoting MomToovey:

I agree, every baby is different. And most are not sleeping through the night this early. Your friends all just got lucky I guess. It is perfectly normal and healthy for babies all the way up to 1 year to still wake up 2-3 times a night. And even after 1 year, it's still normal to wake, it's just that by then, they've typically taught themselves how to get back to sleep on their own.

Think of it this way, throughout the day - a 24 hour period - a baby his age will typically spend about 5-6 hours awake. That means the rest of the time they're sleeping, but it's never all at once. And up to 1 hour more or less that 5-6 hours awake is still normal and healthy.

As far as the eating goes, pay attention to 2 things - how many dirty diapers he has, and how much weight he's gaining. I think about 8 diapers a day is still normal at 2.5 months, and he should still be gaining about 1 ounce a day. Watching those will help you determine whether he is getting the right amount of food each day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)