Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

New mommy with formula problems..

Posted by   + Show Post

I just had my daughter on the first on February and I had to have a emergency C section so I didnt get breast milk for a little over a week and when I finally did I was only getting a Oz at a time and she was spitting most of it up.. So I decided to just keep her on formula. In the hospital they were giving her the Sensitive kind so I kept her on that.. A two weeks ago I noticed that her tummy was really upset and she was pooping A LOT.. My brothers and I are lactose so I thought maybe that could be it.. I switched her to a soy biased formula about a week ago and now her tummy sounds a lot better BUT shes pooping twice as much... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I feel like Im doing something wrong bc I dont know if the milk is hurting her and I keep giving it to her. Opinions moms.. please!! 

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (11-16):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cabrandy03:

I really don't know much about formula feeding.  Have you talked to her pediatrician?

When you say you were only getting an ounce at a time when you were breastfeeding are you talking about with a pump?  Because an ounce with a pump is a very normal output, baby can get a lot more milk out then a pump can.  It's also fairly normal for it to take up to a week for your milk to come in, it dosn't mean you have to give formula.  Colostrum is all your baby needs those first days of life.  I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, I just think you were given some bad informattion and wanted to make sure you knew the facts incase you ever have another baby.  If you are still interested in breastfeeding this baby, it's not to late, there are ways to relactate.  Again, not trying to put any pressure on you or make you feel guilty just wanted to let you know.

This. This. This. Also pump output means nothing! A pump is a man made machine & cannot do what the baby does. The only thing that matters is your diaper count when breastfeeding. I have a 6 month old & I pumped the other day & I only got a few drops. I don't care though because I'm getting my 6 to 8 diapers a day. Some mom's don't respond at all to a pump, they can't even get a single drop but they can breastfeed their babies for years. It takes up to a week to get your milk in. When the baby is under a week old they only need colostrum. Their tummies are only the size of a marble. They don't need a whole oz of food, only a few drops. If you want to start breastfeeding again it's def not too late. Just put baby to your breast. Get in bed topless, take off babies clothes (only a diaper) & stay there all day, skin to skin. Offer the breast anytime baby does anything. Please join the breastfeeding group here if you want to breastfeed again. They will give you lots of GOOD info & suggestions. Formula can really upset babies tummies & make them misrable. Good luck momma.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Just voicing how it was with my experience. I only nursed 7 weeks and then switched to formula and he had more poops on the formula.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Quoting jobberwocky:

If its not hard it's fine. My son had yellow smelly poop on formula for awhile. Formula fed babies poop a lot more then breast fed babies.

Not this early in the game. I breastfeed & when my baby was that age I was getting 10 to 15 poop diapers a day! Formula tends to constipate where breastmilk is a natural laxative. Once their gut is more mature (after a few months) then their poops slow down to one every couple days to once a week.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Quoting jobberwocky:

Just voicing how it was with my experience. I only nursed 7 weeks and then switched to formula and he had more poops on the formula.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Quoting jobberwocky:

If its not hard it's fine. My son had yellow smelly poop on formula for awhile. Formula fed babies poop a lot more then breast fed babies.

Not this early in the game. I breastfeed & when my baby was that age I was getting 10 to 15 poop diapers a day! Formula tends to constipate where breastmilk is a natural laxative. Once their gut is more mature (after a few months) then their poops slow down to one every couple days to once a week.

I understand. No bashing here. Its just a lot of mom's get bad information about breastfeeding & that is usally why they stop. In the begining breastfed babies poop a lot. It's the misconception about sleep in a breastfed baby too. Breastfed babies eat often & don't sleep as long as a ff baby. Breastmilk in the begining goes through them very quickly causing them to poop often & eat often. It's how it prevents SIDS, they don't sleep long. As they age they get better at nursing & they digest all of the breastmilk producing little waste so they poop less often, usually once a week, but that once a week poop is usually a huge blowout. Formula fed babies tend to sleep longer because it takes their bodies much longer to digest the formula so they feel fuller longer & tend to have constipation or hard stools.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It's a shame, it seems like you got a lot of bad information about breastfeeding. That happens a lot & is why most women stop breastfeeding. Spitting up is normal in an infant no matter how they are fed. As long as baby is a "happy spitter". Meaning they don't cry when spitting up & don't projectile vomit. Screaming while spitting up can indicate acid reflux & can be controlled with medication & projectile vomiting can indicate an allergy in mom's diet like lactose intollerance. My baby is breastfed & used to spit up all the time, like 20 times a day. My pedi said it is because when they are infants their esophogus isn't quite developed yet & things just tend to come up from their stomaches. He said it dosnt matter what they are eating, all babies spit up. It finally just stopped & she is 6 months.

NiniD
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Got it! Thank you a ton! very helpful, I appreciate it!

Quoting cabrandy03:

Sorry I'm not sure whats going on but when I quoted you above, my computer was being weird and smushing all my paragraphs together.  I hope it's not too hard to read.

Here is a link to the actual article I copied and pasted:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

And here is a link to the breastfeeding group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Glad I could help  :)

Quoting NiniD:

Got it! Thank you a ton! very helpful, I appreciate it!

Quoting cabrandy03:

Sorry I'm not sure whats going on but when I quoted you above, my computer was being weird and smushing all my paragraphs together.  I hope it's not too hard to read.

Here is a link to the actual article I copied and pasted:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

And here is a link to the breastfeeding group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN